LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:44 pm 

Took my 80 out for a quick spin after a few months. She ran really nicely, sometimes she had a high idle but that’s okay. After we finished driving, when we entered the alley towards my shop, we heard a subtle
pop from the lower engine compartment. She leaked a trail of oil al the way back towards my garage door. When we checked, the oil was dripping fast out of the engine and was all over my garage floor. Strange enough, the oil she leaked was only old, dark oil. Note that we replaced all the oil in the engine about 5 months ago. The engine compartment was SOAKED, but only the passenger side. The valve cover gasket was fine, the half-circles plugs were fine, and etc. All the oil leaked was all near the carburetor and lower. It was super strange, and it kept leaking afterwards. When we checked the dipstick, newer bright oil showed, and the pan appeared to be 3/4 full. I really don’t know what it could be, possibly the oil pan gasket, a hidden seal, I don’t know. I checked my service manual (Series 10 Specific) , nothing. My transmission’s oil appeared to be fine as well. Anybody have any information on what this might be?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:48 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I would check the oil pressure sending unit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:51 pm 

Mickey_D wrote:
I would check the oil pressure sending unit.

I will soon, thanks. The one question I have is that the oil was all towards the back of the engine, none towards the front.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Stands to reason, the sending unit is on the rearward side of the oil filter bracket. And in light of it being in the path of airflow from the radiator fan, all the oil that would come out of it would be sprayed all over the rear half of the engine.

They also aren't that sturdy of a thing. Quite easily break between the mounting nut and the sensor wire clip. And since they are right at the point of highest oil pressure, even the smallest of pinhole leaks will squirt oil an amazing distance.

Also, a 1/4 cup of oil sprayed out of a pinhole right into a fast moving flow of air will coat an amazing amount of area and make it look like a lot more oil than it actually is.