LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 pm 

Hey guys,

I am looking to get my 72 up and running. It has no spark, distributor is not turning. I found the lugs on the distributor and the oil pump are broken. I found the oil pump on Rockauto but I can't find a reman distributor or an oil pan gasket. Any ideas where to find these parts or anyone deal with this problem? The junkyards here in SoCal don't have really anything older than 1990 and I haven't seen a Luv in one in a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:28 pm 

Soooo I guess no one has had this problem. Well I did some extensive research and found the part numbers I need. I then went on Ebay and bought the items I needed. Here are the part numbers if anyone ever needs them.

Oil pump
ITM 057-1116

ImageImage

Distributor
Cardone 31-626 (72-73 specific)

ImageImage

Oil pan gasket

Gm 94020331

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the posting. It may help others in the future...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:50 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
Thanks for the posting. It may help others in the future...

I hope so, thats the goal after all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Interesting they were using a dual point distributor. Most cars, unless they had a performance option, were single point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

RedSwampFrog wrote:
Interesting they were using a dual point distributor. Most cars, unless they had a performance option, were single point.

I thought the same thing! And we know that the 80HP needed all the help it could get!

I just noticed that the dizzy has two prongs for the drive do they fill the slot on the pump? Almost look as if they are to wide for the pump drive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm 

Widetrack wrote:
RedSwampFrog wrote:

I thought the same thing! And we know that the 80HP needed all the help it could get!

I just noticed that the dizzy has two prongs for the drive do they fill the slot on the pump? Almost look as if they are to wide for the pump drive.

You know what? I think you're right. I will have to investigate more now. I am simply going off the old part numbers and I haven't taken the truck apart yet. In the next few weeks I will open it up and look to see whats up. Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm 

Widetrack wrote:
RedSwampFrog wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. Now upon further checking I found the oil pump part number 224-43384 for Sealed Power and for TRW its 50138. It looks like the gear is correct. I ordered one off eBay for 39 bucks so I will have my choice when I take it apart. The parts book shows these pumps are for all kinds of Isuzu applications but most notably 1973-1975 Luv. We will see. I will report back when I know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

That's info everyone needs to know! I hope your rebuild goes smoothly for ya!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:29 pm 

hopfully it went well for you i have somwhat of the same problem i bought the truck "79 luv" already taken apart and the distributor and oil pump are not on or marked anywhere! i was wondering if anyone knows the procedure to put them on and in "time" with crank and cam without removing head or timing cover i know theres a mark on the oil pump drive gear cover ect i just dont know where everything should be at also the timing gear allows oil pump gear to rotate as its going on so should i turn it opposite one tooth so when it turns while going on its in the right place and where should the distributor at just hoping i dont have to take the head and timing cover off to install oil pump and distributor cause i can see the mark by looking up from under by oil pump im kind of stranded until i fix it i do not have a service manual no debit card or funds really if i did i might be able to get my hands on a chiltons or hains but i find them not to be very useful at all thanks for any help