LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:29 pm 

Hey guys. I'm trying to get my 81 LUV to blow defrost but I'm having some issues. I'm able to get a small dribble of air to come out but it seems that most of the air is blowing out behind the heater case around where the heater core is. I don't mean from the floor vents, it's coming out behind that area. I don't know if some of the door flaps are stuck or if there is something missing on this case. It seems like the doors are opening and closing when I switch positions and you can hear how hard the air is blowing from the motor. It looks like someone has messed with it before so I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if maybe I'm missing a part and\or throw up some pictures of their heater case. Should I be able to see the heater core without removing any kind of panels? This is what mine looks like but I don't know if it's proper.

Attachments:
IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0587.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 2312 times ]
IMG_0586.jpg
IMG_0586.jpg [ 940.94 KiB | Viewed 2312 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Are you saying that you took those pics without removing anything?

If so, wow. Yes, it is missing some parts. For starters, that core is not original. The original core fits tightly into the box and has a flange on the plumbed end that covers the entire opening. That core may be from a Ford F100. Due to the high cost and scarcity of factory cores, some people have adapted the F100 core as a substitute.

The factory core has an integrated heater control valve, which is missing from your core. Whoever did the swap probably added an inline valve, on the other side of the firewall. It looks like they started the conversion, but never finished it.

I know of a source for factory cores, but he may be out of them. They sell for about $330, last I checked. The core from a 1984-1991 Isuzu Trooper is identical. I'm using a core that was salvaged from a '91 Trooper.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the response. That's how I received the truck and figured there must be something missing. Now I have to figure out how to get it to blow the hot air to the windshield. Someone did add a valve under the hood that has a pull knob to open and close flow to the core.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

As long as there's a big opening on the side of your heater box, that's THE vent.

Since the core is undersized, some air will go around it rather than through it. But that's your next issue to deal with. ;)

Get a Trooper core, and both are solved.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

You’ll need to mod something to cover that hole.

I’m running an F100 heater core in my truck. Get some soft foam that won’t melt at engine temps and stuff it in the gaps between the core and housing. You’ll get much better heating.