LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 pm 

The smog air pump on my recently purchased totally stock Luv is terminally frozen (no belt on pulley). I want to remove it entirely but I'm not sure how to plug the holes in exhaust manifold for the tube fittings. Would anyone happen to know the size and thread dimensions for the four manifold metric tubing fittings?
I hate to have to jury rig something with existing fittings. I'd rather use pipe plugs if possible.

Thanks

Attachments:
Luv 2.jpg
Luv 2.jpg [ 477.9 KiB | Viewed 2569 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The tube holes on the exhaust manifold are the same size and thread as the spark plugs are. Take one to a hardware store to match it up.

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm 

Great info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:11 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The fittings aren't in the exhaust manifold, they're in the head itself. They're M14x1.25 thread. Oil drain plugs far various vehicles are this thread pitch but you may have trouble with sealing, the original fitting seals on a lip at the bottom end not at the tapered seat in the head.
You can also use the threaded portion of the original tube fitting for a plug- cut each tube & remove, tap & thread the inside of the fitting with the proper size bolt as a plug (or solder/weld/braze the hole). This method has the added benefit of the fitting being the proper length so that there's no "chirping" that sometimes happens with a shorter plug.
FYI the EGR bung in the exhaust manifold is M22x1.5 pitch should you also wish to plug that. The original threaded fitting with a 1/8" pipe plug in place of the tube is one way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am 

Do you see any benefit in preserving the air pump and fittings? I want to maintain originality so maybe I don't want to be cutting any tubing. What do you think? It is junk and I'm tired of looking at all the rotting hoses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 am 

I guess I could just crew spark plugs into the holes, put dummy wires on them and then watch peoples reactions. Actually I'm going to try to get new tube fittings and have my welder buddy fill the holes. Sealing would indeed be questionable with just a plug. You'd have to rely on thread sealant.

Thanks for your interest. I wasn't even looking for any vehicle when this popped up in my EBay. I think I got a great deal on a future classic. Aren't too many of them around since most got used as work trucks and people beat the heck out of them. Unfortunately when they hit the crusher, there went a lot of now rare spare parts.

Sigh!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:19 pm 

I had welder friend plug holes in tube fittings to fill holes. There was no clearance for anything else. Looks very clean. Happy with results.

Attachments:
Luv smog fitting.jpg
Luv smog fitting.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 2423 times ]