LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:52 pm 

I pulled the speedometer housing/gear from my '79 4x4 LUV because it was leaking oil. I want to replace the o-ring/seal, but wanted to check on a few things before I dove in.

1. Can I remove the gear portion from the housing? It seems like you can just based on the NOS housings I found on ebay that don't have a gear included: https://www.ebay.com/p/NOS-OEM-Gm-isuzu ... 2201073155. The gear on my housing is very snug -- I didn't want to start tapping with a hammer and nail sink until I confirmed.

2. Is there an internal seal inside the housing? I'm planning to replace the external o-ring, but can't tell if there's one internally -- seems like there must be.

3. Long shot: anyone have part numbers/specs for the gasket/seal (the housing part number is 94020578)?

Pic of the housing/gear -> https://imgur.com/gallery/zx8vmkV

Thanks y'all!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looks the same as used on the 2nd gen LUVs and Isuzus. BTW, please post pics here on the site, rather than linking to them. One day your pic will be gone, and whoever reads this topic won't get any benefit.

There are some funny stories about this issue. The problem is the seals on the inside. When they go bad, the oil will travel up the cable and will come out in the instrument cluster, and drip on the driver's legs. A retired Isuzu guy told me that his Isuzu dealership had to reimburse a lady for her expensive silk stockings! :lol:

I'm surprised your gear doesn't slide right out. Mine did. Here's what the shaft looks like.
Attachment:
speedo_gear_shaft.jpg
speedo_gear_shaft.jpg [ 109.56 KiB | Viewed 2500 times ]

The o-rings inside the housing look like the same type used in air conditioning systems. I can't remember if there is one, or if there are two inside. I got mine from a hardware store. You have to be careful not to get one that's tight enough to bind the shaft from turning freely. That would cause excessive wear on the nylon gear.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:22 pm 

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Looks the same as used on the 2nd gen LUVs and Isuzus. BTW, please post pics here on the site, rather than linking to them. One day your pic will be gone, and whoever reads this topic won't get any benefit.

Good call, will try to embed the image next time. When I tried to embed from the imgur link I got an error from the site and went for straight link.

JoeIsuzu wrote:
There are some funny stories about this issue. The problem is the seals on the inside. When they go bad, the oil will travel up the cable and will come out in the instrument cluster, and drip on the driver's legs. A retired Isuzu guy told me that his Isuzu dealership had to reimburse a lady for her expensive silk stockings! :lol:

Yeah it does seem like it's the internal ones -- my speedo cable has oil all over it. Hasn't started dripping out onto my legs yet, haha! I'm tempted to replace the outer seal as well while I'm in there if I can find a good replacement.

JoeIsuzu wrote:
I'm surprised your gear doesn't slide right out. Mine did. Here's what the shaft looks like.
Attachment:
speedo_gear_shaft.jpg

The o-rings inside the housing look like the same type used in air conditioning systems. I can't remember if there is one, or if there are two inside. I got mine from a hardware store. You have to be careful not to get one that's tight enough to bind the shaft from turning freely. That would cause excessive wear on the nylon gear.

Awesome, thanks a ton for the info here. I'll tap the gear shaft out and see if I can find some seals at the hardware and/or auto store.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 pm 

Gear shaft came free with some gentle hammer and nail sink coercion. Looks like a single o-ring inside. It's kind of tricky to get fine measurements for a super flexible rubber o-ring unfortunately (at least with a micrometer), but here are my measurements:

OD: ~15mm
ID: ~11mm

So that leaves a ring thickness of 2mm which squared up with what my micrometer said. I may skip the replacement of the external o-ring the more I think about it. It looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the gear housing didn't seem to be leaking -- just where the cable entered (i.e. a bad inner ring). I'll see what I can find for rings. Will post here when I find some replacements.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

sketchafletch wrote:
Good call, will try to embed the image next time. When I tried to embed from the imgur link I got an error from the site and went for straight link.

Upload from your computer or device, not from an image hosting site. There's "choose file" button below the window you type into.

Jack