LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Connecting rod question
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

How important is it to have the stamped numbers on the connecting rods facing the starter side of the engine?

I got the pistons all sweated on to the conn rods before I read that little sentence in the FSM. I have two that are pointing the correct way and two that don't.

Barring that, how important is it to have the little notch in the piston face forward? :D
I'm trying to figure which is more important or more likely to cause a catastrophic failure. If either is a cosmetic issue, I will leave it or change it as required. I just really don't want to strip it all apart and take the pistons back up to Canada to have them switched around on the conn rods...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I can't say for sure. Maybe though, the notch is just an identifier that lets the engine builder know the positioning of each piston. Say one wants to 'tear down' their engine(whatever engine it is) and re-ring the old pistons. Then the piston replacement notch position should be the same as when installed...... notch on the right, notch on the left. Another issue though is the rod direction. I think the rod end caps have an arrow or some indicator to equate the front of the engine. Same thing goes.....remove the rod caps to install new bearing inserts and the rods as well as the pistons will be re-installed per the original installation, IF the original marks are followed. That way, the accumulated wear on the piston and the eventual egg shape/ovaling will be returned to it's correct position. I really can't see any reason for the notch marker other than to establish original installation of each piston.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:43 pm 

Rods need to be properly indexed for balance purposes on some engines, plus how the oil is thrown off the jounal may be affected.Especially if the rod has a notch at the parting line that allows oil to be sprayed on to the cylinder wall. Having said all that, I'm not sure if your motor has any of these details built into the rods. Most engine builders face all of the bearing notchs all facing out or in on v-type motors and all facing the same way (towards the cam or away from it.) But not a mixture of directions.
It may never create an issue for you, but at this point,I would take the rods back off and index them correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm 

EPQ416_50-54.pdf

Googe this PDF. Lots of good info.

Another reason the rods need to index on the crank properly, the fillet on the crank journal may interfere with the bearing if installed backwards.

Hope this helps!