LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:06 pm 

Hi there folks! My '79 4x4 manual LUV has a slow oil leak from the 4x4 transfer case. After staring at both the Haynes manual and the case itself, I believe it's probably due to a bad oil seal on the front output shaft. Possibly the gasket on the back of the case, but I'm leaning towards the oil seal. I'll probably replace both anyways.

I cleaned off the oil so I can hopefully know for sure where it's leaking from once I let it leak overnight into a container in the garage. In the picture, the red dot is where it forms droplets and leaks off onto the ground. Red line indicates the path I _think_ it's taking.

https://imgur.com/a/wlKN1s7
https://imgur.com/a/MsPXxb0

Couple questions:

* Does my theory sound right to y'all?
* How hard is this repair? From a quick glance it seems mostly straightforward as long as I keep track of things for re-assembly.
* I think this is the replacement seal I need: https://www.google.com/search?q=94028351+oil+seal. Look right to y'all? Any alternative or easy substitutions that will work well for this seal?

Thanks for the help -- mostly newbie mechanic here. Moving up from vintage mopeds to this LUV that's been sitting for a few years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looking quickly at the parts manual I think it may be a pretty detailed job to replace the seal. I am not sure if there is a preload involved on the bearings. Sometimes leaks look worse then they are, not saying leaks shouldn’t be addressed though. I would clean the area thourghly. I personally use baby powder all over the area I suspect a leak and run it, if it leaks the oil will leave you a line straight to the problem area. You might be surprised how little it’s actualy leaking.

The baby powder idea came from searching for leaks in helicopter engine bays.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
Looking quickly at the parts manual I think it may be a pretty detailed job to replace the seal. I am not sure if there is a preload involved on the bearings. Sometimes leaks look worse then they are, not saying leaks shouldn’t be addressed though. I would clean the area thourghly. I personally use baby powder all over the area I suspect a leak and run it, if it leaks the oil will leave you a line straight to the problem area. You might be surprised how little it’s actualy leaking.

The baby powder idea came from searching for leaks in helicopter engine bays.

Yeah it is a very slow leak so not the end of the world, but I would like to get it fixed at some point. Thanks for the tip on the baby powder -- will give that a try.