LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 am 

So I'm new to Luvs and am going to look at a truck that "runs" this weekend and so my question is this, what tools do you take for a inspection and where should I look for problems that would stop me from buying? People keep saying look at the frame but I live in the desert so I should be ok there I hope.

I'm taking a spare battery and a gas can with me plus a bottle of starting fluid just to test her out. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I would leave the starting fluid at home. These engines do not play well with ether. I personally have seen 2 of them burn an exhaust valve because of it - with only 3 starting attempts.

These trucks have electric fuel pumps, so there's no need to "prime" the carbs with starting fluid. They will either run or they won't.

Most issues with whether they run or not is due to the stock carbs. They are finicky little things that I've never had the time of day for. I ALWAYS swap them out with a Weber 32/36.

Ignition issues generally stem from the cheap ass points and condenser that go in them. Hence why most people swap in a Pertronix electronic module.

Electrical issues generally stem from the weirdo fuse box (under the hood, there isn't one inside) they used on these things, and from the fact that ALL switched electrical power goes through the ignition switch. So, in other words, full battery power goes to the ignition switch, which supplies ignition and accessory power to the fuse box, THEN it goes out from there. No relays involved. I myself have seen 5 smoked ignition switch connectors and 2 FUBAR fuse panels. None of them on the same truck.

But seriously, whether the truck has been in the desert all its life or not, pull the carpet (or rubber mat) back and poke the floor on both sides with a small screwdriver. The ONLY place you're gonna get another floor panel is from another Chevy Luv. Nobody makes aftermarket replacements.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:29 pm 

Wow I didn't know that nobody doesn't make an after market floor pan. Really gives me something to think about. Thanks for all of that info.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:46 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

A rusted out floor pan doesn't necessarily mean don't buy the truck. As someone in the Newbie section said, a sheet of metal from Lowe's and some bondo will fix a Luv floor board. So will an old stop sign and a trusty hammer to shape it.

I myself prefer silicone caulking to bondo, but whatever works for you.