LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: smog pump questions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 am 

I live in the Front Range of Colorado now, (longmont, boulder, etc) and they require emissions test, well my truck does not have smog pump system installed but I do have the whole mess of parts and pumps. I did not remove, it was removed by the original owner some time ago. I have no clue where to begin with trying to get this thing hooked up. I looked at the diagrams and tried to find some pics but nothing is super helpful, I did a search on this forum and it looks like there is some old posts with some outdated pics. Would anyone be willing to share some photos of their smog setup? I am going to try and tackle this myself, a bit of challenge I think. Any advice or pics would be awesome!

Thanks - CT

Here are the smog parts I have:

Post subject: Re: smog pump questions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:45 pm 
Feel the Steel

Not sure if this help much, but here are some old pics of my stock motor, right before I took it out.

I removed it when I lived in Denver in the late 80's, and put a V6 in, had a friend that was a smog tech, before they started the state run stations, so I didn't have problem "fudging" my emissions tests back then, till the state took over and he couldn't do it anymore. My truck put many weekend miles cruising Longmont with that motor back in the 80's. 8)

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:29 pm 

Thanks! It is helpful, I think i need to get some closer up shots but this a good start! I appreciate you taking the time and posting the pics. Not sure what I am going to do, just going to try and work it out and solve the problem. My truck is non-catalyst truck and does not have a catalytic convertor, I guess it came that way new, it has a sticker and some info inside the engine hood.

We actually live in Longmont now.

TILTED wrote:
Not sure if this help much, but here are some old pics of my stock motor, right before I took it out.

I removed it when I lived in Denver in the late 80's, and put a V6 in, had a friend that was a smog tech, before they started the state run stations, so I didn't have problem "fudging" my emissions tests back then, till the state took over and he couldn't do it anymore. My truck put many weekend miles cruising Longmont with that motor back in the 80's. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

It looks like in the picture of the parts that your EGR tube has been cut at each end and the screw-in fittings that go into the intake & exhaust manifolds are have been removed, they may be in the respective manifolds & plugged.
Likewise the screw-in fittings that insert into the head at the exhaust runners appear to be missing from the air rail tubes, they may also be in the head & plugged.
Either way you will need to obtain a replacement air rail & EGR tube, I doubt you'll be able to splice either back together even if you have the missing fittings. The fittings are on the tubes behind a flared end that seals the tube when the fitting is screwed into the respective bung, plus they're a precise length & angle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm 

Yea, I noticed that those parts you mention had been cut, i did not do it, the original owner did, how hard are these parts to come by? Seems like something that is not going to be be easy to obtain.

Thanks,

Chad
This parts are the ones in question?

oldestisuzuist wrote:
It looks like in the picture of the parts that your EGR tube has been cut at each end and the screw-in fittings that go into the intake & exhaust manifolds are have been removed, they may be in the respective manifolds & plugged.
Likewise the screw-in fittings that insert into the head at the exhaust runners appear to be missing from the air rail tubes, they may also be in the head & plugged.
Either way you will need to obtain a replacement air rail & EGR tube, I doubt you'll be able to splice either back together even if you have the missing fittings. The fittings are on the tubes behind a flared end that seals the tube when the fitting is screwed into the respective bung, plus they're a precise length & angle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Contact wildluvracing1974. He is parting out a few trucks.