LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:35 pm 

I have to replace my Input shaft bearing and thought to look at Transmission Rebuild Kits that include seals, gaskets, bearings, etc.
I was told by my local Chevy Dealer that all I needed was the year (1978) and engine specs (4cyl 1.8 L) to match parts for the trans but when I gave them the specs they couldn't find part #s for me. My manual describes the the trans as 4 speed fully synced but does not specify anything more.
I talked to one supplier that sent me to ebay for a vintage (Bearing Kit BK153) that is listed as FITS 1976-82 4SPD CHEV LUV TRUCK *MSG-4K* 2.2L & 111C but 1978 is 1.8 L. They also told me that parts are no longer available through retailers but RockAuto shows a Timken Bearing and Seal Overhaul Kit for the 1978 LUV.
I spoke with a local trans shop that is telling me without a look that I most likely will need "4th and Cluster" as well and that was not available.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:41 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Quote:..." *MSG-4K* 2.2L & 111C but 1978 is 1.8 L."...
-your tranny is a MSG-4, but I don't know what the specific model suffix letter is, whether it is a K or something else. That suffix letter often had to do with the tranny gear ratios, diesels trannies tend to have lower 1st-3rd gears than gasoline trannies
-the 2.2L refers to the diesel engine not available until 1981 in the US market
-the 111C is 111 cubic inches: your 1.8L engine is also 110.8ci displacement, there was also a 1.8L diesel offered in certain passenger cars
-all these use basically the same tranny, I don't see anything in the fitment description that says the kit won't fit your tranny

You do know that a '86-'95 MSG-5 is a very simple upgrade swap? Stronger tranny plus a 15% OD 5th gear & still pretty easy to find in salvage yards. sometimes it's easier & cheaper to swap trannies than to repair the old one. Several on the site have done so, do a search for more info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:49 am 

I really appreciate the advice and will see what my local yards might have.
Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

might try asking at a trans. shop. they might know where to get parts for your trans.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

One thing to consider, if your input bearing has failed like the last one in my Trooper- part of the race dropped out the drain hole- then you've got metal parts scattered throughout the tranny. That requires a complete tear down to clean out the metal chunks & check for further damage. In that instance replacing rather than repairing the tranny will be the best option.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you can't find the parts you need, I have a good used transmission from a 76 Luv.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com