LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Happy New Year everyone! I'm having a real problem with my stock LUV. the idle will not slow down. Yesterday it operated just fine. Yesterday I replaced the valve cover gasket and have it running today after letting the gasket cement dry. Now, after reassembly, the idle will not come below about 1500 rpm. I have disconnected the throttle cable. no luck. I have screwed the idle screw in and out to no avail. Essentially, I never even touched the carb when I removed the valve cover. All should be exactly the same except now it is idling very high. I don't know what I could have done. I checked all the vacuum lines and they're hooked up. There are 2 vacuum pots on the carb and they are functioning fine. I can watch them move . There is an electric idle speed control unit mounted to the intake manifold below the carb but I cannot understand what it does nor if it is fully functioning. The solenoid goes in and out with voltage. Automatic choke is working well. Anyone have any ideas? I could sure use them. Thanks Don

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Well, I finally decided to take the carb off of the manifold and get it set on the bench. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to remove. Next I went through the carb rebuild kit's adjustment procedure . I found that the lightweight spring that operates the stepped fast idle cam was pretty gummed up and would not allow the fast idle to move freely. Cleaned up the whole outside of the carb and lubed it well. I adjusted everything that the kit required and now it I back on the car and idling just fine. Thanks for your help....Don