LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Voltage Regulator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I posted this on my alternator thread but I’m reposting this way because it’s a voltage regulator question.

I’ve been spending time everyday researching on the internet and looking in the LUV manual for answers and to familiarize myself with the charging system. I’ve read a lot of posts with frustrations and with some, it has been something simple overlooked. I ordered another voltage regulator.

At the battery I show 12.59 volts. Everywhere I test, at the fuses and at the positive on the alternator, the same volts. I read on a thread where it said the white/red wire should have 14 volts and the white/green 7 volts. I don’t have that, way below those numbers. I forget the exact numbers right now.

Also, when the truck is off and key in the on position, I put the test light on the white/red wire at the harness plug by the voltage regulator, at the relay resistor and below the dash where the plug it’s on is not connected to anything. I believe it’s for the AC system that I don’t have. The test light is very dim at all three points. Is that normal? Should the wire light up bright for 12volts when the key is on without the engine being on?

Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:38 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

If you have a volt meter to measure 12.59 volts at the battery, then use that meter to determine voltage all over the truck. As you can see the test light isn't giving you enough information.

Now, when the truck is off, the voltage should read about 12.6. When you turn it on but it's not running, you are powering the ignition coil, some dash lights, the blower fan, etc so the voltage will drop a bit.

So test the voltage at the battery with the truck off. Then turn it on and bring it up to 2000 rpm. Does the voltage go up or down? If it goes down, you have an alt or wiring or reg problem. If it goes up, it's working.

Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I installed the new voltage regulator and everything is working fine. Gen light is off and the battery is charging. Thank you for your help.