LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My '79 4x4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:25 pm 

Discloser: I'm a newbie on here.

Now that we got that out of the way, what's up?! I was given a '79 4x4 luv by my grandfather after telling him I wanted it since I was about 8(I'm 23 now) and finally got my ducks in a row to start the slow going process of getting her back to her former glory. Since taking ownership of my dream truck(about a year ago), I have replaced the driver side fender that was messed up, and started the long task of getting years of "it'll get washed when it rains next week" off of it. So far so good, but still needs painted to get it where I want it. Luckily I know some people. Last week I bought a Pacesetter header for it and finally got it mounted up yesterday. Ran into some issues putting it back together, the main one being a primary tube wanting to hit the clutch linkage. No big deal right? correct. I just hit the tube with a 2lb dumbbell until it provided clearance to let her be as free and easy as she was. The next issue was a little larger than that. With my luv being a 4wd, the header doesn't fit the greatest. Where the factory ran exhaust is routed under the crossmember, it puts it about ~2.5" directly under the collector. Once again, not a huge issue, but a mild inconvenience nonetheless. The biggest problem I hit while putting it all back together. You ready? Ok, here it goes. Dead cylinder that wasn't there 20 minutes prior. The steps you're about to read is what happened.
1: undo the carb hat intake and move it out of the way to get the header back out
2: take the header off
3: bang bang bang with the 2lb weight
3: sweet it fits
4: header bolts back in
5: intake back on
6: spark plug wires back on
7: no start.

Ok. Now I'm concerned because it was literally running fine 20 minutes ago. Check the spark plug wires to make sure they were put back in the correct order. They were. Still no start. Take all wires off and re route them. Now it starts, but it's running on 3 cylinders. I can't deal with an underpowered truck being down a cylinder so I check everything again. Still only running on 3. Checked the points(already been down that headache of a road) and cap, and they look good. Start it back up and let the header get hot enough to figure out which cylinder is dead and turns out it's #4. Ok.....now I'm puzzled. Take the plug wire off of it again and ripped the end of it off. FUCK. Go to the part store and of course they don't have them in stock so I ordered them and should have them tomorrow. Figured that may have been the problem so I took the wire off #3 to check it out. Here's where it get's real odd. Now cylinders 3 and 4 are dead and shes only on 2 and barely stays running. Shut it down, put it back on #3 and we're back to where we were(just cylinder 4 is dead now) and rolled it back to the garage. Any ideas on what this could be? I'll be doing all new plugs and wires tomorrow in case the plug is shot, but I don't have any idea what it could be if that doesn't fix the problem. Leaky carb seal since I took it off? I don't know.

The truck:

Post subject: Re: My '79 4x4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Probably cracked the#4 plug...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:47 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
Probably cracked the#4 plug...

I thought almost the same thing(maybe a bad/fouled plug), so I replaced the plugs and wires today. Duralast wires and ac delco copper plugs. Still no change, except now cylinder 1 is dead as well. I'm hoping it isn't the valve guides or piston rings :( . Guess the next step will be to do a compression test on it and see what's going on inside the block. I want to state again, that the truck was running PERFECTLY until I took the header off for the second time to make room for the clutch linkage. This is all a brand spanking new problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:55 pm 

Also want to add that the truck has 150k on it, never been abused, and the coolant and oil look good, no murkiness to them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm 

I CAN FIX ANYTHING. Ok now that I got that out, I found the problem thanks to this forum. Someone has replaced the dizzy at some point and had it 180* from how it was supposed to be. She runs smooth and on all 4 now. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Haha i did that twice on mine

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:34 am 

love4theluv wrote:
Haha i did that twice on mine

Unfortunately it was short lived. No spark now, no fire out of the coil either. Picked up an msd blaster from a friend last night, so I'll be trying that today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:27 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Have you checked the ballast resistor? If that's bad you could also have no spark

White 79 LUV. Factory a/c

My trucks run perfect 60% of the time all the time 8)
Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

I was VERY happy with my isuzu pup electronic distributor. Did away with all that extra bs and the points ans they are cheap

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:46 pm 

Jacobbarnes1 wrote:
Have you checked the ballast resistor? If that's bad you could also have no spark

I haven't. Can you tell me where it is located? Unless it is the one on top of the coil, in which case I have and it is good. Truck is still dead in the water so to speak. I ordered a pertronix unit and it delivered today, but no one was home to sign for it(don't know why they didn't just leave it) and I am hoping that it will resolve the points issues. I have two weeks off at the end of the year and nobody to spend it with(woe is me :roll: ) so I figured I may as well spend it with my LUV(get it?). I hope that it is in reliable running shape by then(the spark issues have really been the only problems for me). Maybe go explore the local national forest and camp out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Sorry for the delayed response, the ballast resistor is located on top of the ignition coil.

White 79 LUV. Factory a/c

My trucks run perfect 60% of the time all the time 8)
Tucson, AZ