LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ticking sound
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:00 pm 

I have a 1978 stock luv 1.8l 4-speed. About a month ago it started making a ticking sound whenever the clutch is out (in gear or in neutral). It seems to get faster with increased throttle, and sometimes lingers after the clutch is engaged. I have recently changed both the tranny and engine oil, +filter.
Wondering if anyone knows what could be going on?

Also, it may have started right after I stalled out the car :oops: ...

Post subject: Re: Ticking sound
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Exhaust leak? Listen around the exhaust manifold and any junctions in the exhaust pipe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:32 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

An exhaust leak wouldn't stop when the clutch pedal was depressed.
Most likely it's the transmission input bearing, a common failure for Isuzu MSG trannies. I've had 4 or 5 fail over the years. It will only get worse & will eventually fail, it may decline very fast or it may last for years, I've experienced both. As it starts to get noisier or especially if the noise drastically changes check your magnetic drain plug for more than the usual gray metallic slurry. If you have obvious evidence of bearing failure (as in part of a bearing race in the drained lube) stop driving it so you don't get stranded.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 pm 

When I checked the drain plug yesterday, it seemed surprisingly clean, but the sound is definitely getting worse. It's louder, and takes longer to stop after I depress the clutch pedal.

oldestisuzuist-- if it is the transmission input bearing, how difficult/costly is it to replace?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:28 am 

Don't know about repair costs, I just replaced the tranny with a used one. If I ever have to replace another I will go ahead & do a 5-speed upgrade; stronger tranny & complete bolt-in swap except for the slip yoke (I'll also do the 8.5" clutch & flywheel upgrade at the same time), plus I already have the necessary parts.

".... and takes longer to stop after I depress the clutch pedal."
If it's a tranny input bearing it will only make noise when the input shaft is turning. Vehicle stationary, in neutral, engine running, clutch out, you should hear noise. The noise should cease as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed and the input shaft spools down & stops turning. If the vehicle is rolling, as in shifting between gears, the tranny gears are being driven by the differential & could be turning the input shaft after the clutch is depressed, but again as soon as the input shaft stops turning the noise should cease.
Are you saying you have significant and increasing lag between the clutch pedal being depressed and the noise stopping?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:40 pm 

Yes definitely significant/increasing lag. Seems like the sound persists sometimes until I've braked to a stop. Does this mean it can't be the input bearing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 am 

As long as the tranny is in gear and the truck moving the tranny gears are still turned by the differential until the truck stops even after the clutch is depressed. This will produce some degree of gear whine even in a new tranny, the lower the gear & the higher the speed the more pronounced the noise. The same conditions also still spin the input shaft, so a bad bearing would also make noise along with the gear whine. Try slipping the tranny into neutral while the truck is still moving, then depress the clutch fully, this should eliminate both the gear whine & any bearing noise.
Input bearing noise only occurs when the input shaft is spinning, which should stop as soon as the clutch is depressed unless the tranny is in gear and the truck moving. Does the noise continue after depressing the clutch pedal under the conditions that the input shaft should not be spinning?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

oldestisuzuist wrote:
As long as the tranny is in gear and the truck moving the tranny gears are still turned by the differential until the truck stops even after the clutch is depressed. This will produce some degree of gear whine even in a new tranny, the lower the gear & the higher the speed the more pronounced the noise. The same conditions also still spin the input shaft, so a bad bearing would also make noise along with the gear whine. Try slipping the tranny into neutral while the truck is still moving, then depress the clutch fully, this should eliminate both the gear whine & any bearing noise.

If it is an output bearing, it will continue to make the noise as long as the truck is rolling though, due to the driveshaft still turning due to the wheels rolling. If it stops making the noise as soon as the truck stops moving, I would think it would be the issue...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:54 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
oldestisuzuist wrote:

If it is an output bearing, it will continue to make the noise as long as the truck is rolling though, due to the driveshaft still turning due to the wheels rolling. If it stops making the noise as soon as the truck stops moving, I would think it would be the issue...

But an output noise wouldn't stop when the clutch was depressed, which is the symptom from the initial post and is classic input bearing noise. I've just never had input noise that didn't stop immediately upon depressing the clutch pedal, this lingering noise is a new one for me. Gear whine is another story, I've never had a manual tranny that didn't.