LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I've had my 75 LUV going for a little while now, and this weekend I put a good shakedown drive on it. I drove over 100 miles from leaving work through Saturday afternoon. It does alright, but it has a sputter/hesitation at low throttle and is only getting around 11MPG. The truck is bone stock, the carb has been recently rebuilt, it has a Mr. Gasket fuel pump rated for around 4PSI. It clears up and runs well with more throttle, but I would imagine that it must be getting too much fuel. I rebuilt and tuned the carb myself, and the mixture screw is only 2.5 turns out, so I think it is set about right. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether there is a little ball missing from somewhere in the body of the carb. I know the one under the accelerator pump is there, but I think that one more came out from somewhere. I'm hoping someone on here has more carb knowledge than me and can give some help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:05 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

11 MPG is ridiculous, should be about 20. Make sure float level is correct--halfway across the sight glass window. Check that ignition timing is at 12 degrees at 700 rpm idle. Turn idle adj screw in or out until best fast idle. Reset idle to 700 rpm and adjust mixture again for best idle. Back and forth between the mixture and speed until you have the best idle at 700 rpm.
Diagram shows only one plastic ball inside the accelerator pump well.
Make sure your timing is correct, and is advancing with rpm increase. Make sure the vacuum advance is working as that is a mileage killer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks! I will take a look at that this weekend.