LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 75 Luv Carb Issue?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:23 pm 

Ive been driving my completely stock 1.8 for a year when I started expiriencing dirty fuel issues. I have a cheap clear plasitic fuel filter between the tank and pump(electric) that would turn rusty brown and then i would get wat seemed to be fuel delivery issues. I would be driving down the road and it would start sputtering (starving for fuel). I have fixed the rust issue by cutting open the tank sand blasting the inside and welding it back together. since then i cant get the truck to run.... well more like drive. she idles perfectly, revs wonderfuly with no misses or sputters. but when i drive it i get about 3 to 5 miles down the road and it dies. the filter between the tank and pump only fills a 1/4 and the filter near the carb barely fills up. the site glass on the carb is always half full. I bought a rebuild kit from rock auto but dont want to tear apart the entire carb for fear it may never go back together. I have ran fuel from a gas can into the pump and used a separate can for the return. There seems to be an excessive amount of return. how much should be returning? any other suggestions as to what could be wrong?

Post subject: Re: 75 Luv Carb Issue?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

You may have rust residue in the bottom of the float chamber bowl that is being drawn into the carb jets that reside near the bottom of the bowl. You don't need to dissasemble the entire carb--I would just carefully remove the float bowl/site glass cover (three screws i think) and clean out the residue with carburator spray. But be very carefull to not loose the small round float hinge spacer that sets against the cover.
The amount of fuel that it takes to run the engine is very small compared to the pump output. So--most of it will return to the tank.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:48 am 

I have done that. Im not sure about the spacer. i will pull it apart and check again. would rust in the jets create blockage that alows good performance while not under load but poor performance when driving?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I would say the best way to nail this is to drive the truck untill it sputters/stops, coast to the side of the road, and immediately open the hood and look at the site glass for fuel. No fuel means fuel pump, filter, fuel line to tank problems. If fuel ok then internal carburator problems or ignition related problems instead. Check for spark.
Do you have the stock fuel pump located on the crossmember? If so there is an internal filter inside it. The end screws off and out pops a filter. If auto parts store says none listed--ask for one for a Datson 240Z.