LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I'm trying to think ahead, as far as the audio system. A Clarion NZ503 head unit, epicenter, an Alpine 5 channel PDX V9 amplifier, 2 10" kicker CVR subwoofers behind the seat in a custom box, 2 6x9's (clarion or pioneers) in the "natural voids" - rear sides, and a single 4" or 2 2" tweeters (Clarion or pioneer) under the dash grill. That's the plan, I just bought the amp. New their expensive, I bought the used one for half the money.

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 520.12 KiB | Viewed 9257 times ]
image.png
image.png [ 441.75 KiB | Viewed 9257 times ]

Last edited by m3638 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Pix

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 281.78 KiB | Viewed 9257 times ]
image.png
image.png [ 409.51 KiB | Viewed 9257 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:47 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Pixx

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 456.26 KiB | Viewed 9256 times ]
image.png
image.png [ 231.14 KiB | Viewed 9256 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:55 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I chose this specific Alpine amp because it's small and being a 5 channel, it will run all of the speakers.

Foot Print (WxHxD) in: 10-1/8'' x 2'' x 7-1/2''

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Here's a pic of the 1" steering wheel spacer. $25

Attachments:
image.png
image.png [ 260.33 KiB | Viewed 9254 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:21 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Don't forget that the Epicenter needs a full range signal to work properly. Not sure how many RCA outputs the Clarion has,but you may end up sharing the outputs with the 6x9's channels.That would mean no fading so that you can hear the dash speakers.If it has a dedicated sub output,it would not be able to use the heads sub woofer crossover.The amp will have to provide the low pass,once it gets the signal from the Epicenter. The Epi also has that PMF chip that is basically a 33hz high pass filter. It works good to control cone motion in ported boxes that are tuned that low. If the Kickers are in the usual sealed box and you listen to rap or dub step or other fat bottom music,you might want to buy or build a chip for a 20hz cutoff. Also,when you mount the head,you "might" need to fur the dash opening out a bit to make sure that the tilt up display doesn't hit the lip of the dash and point the display at your knees. I know you're going for the stock look,so my begging for speakers up front isn't gonna fly,but I had to at least try.lol [now,if you could get one of those 6x9s in the dash opening,it wouldn't be stereo,but you could hear music with the windows down]...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:21 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

rodburner wrote:
Don't forget that the Epicenter needs a full range signal to work properly. Not sure how many RCA outputs the Clarion has,but you may end up sharing the outputs with the 6x9's channels.That would mean no fading so that you can hear the dash speakers.If it has a dedicated sub output,it would not be able to use the heads sub woofer crossover.The amp will have to provide the low pass,once it gets the signal from the Epicenter. The Epi also has that PMF chip that is basically a 33hz high pass filter. It works good to control cone motion in ported boxes that are tuned that low. If the Kickers are in the usual sealed box and you listen to rap or dub step or other fat bottom music,you might want to buy or build a chip for a 20hz cutoff. Also,when you mount the head,you "might" need to fur the dash opening out a bit to make sure that the tilt up display doesn't hit the lip of the dash and point the display at your knees. I know you're going for the stock look,so my begging for speakers up front isn't gonna fly,but I had to at least try.lol [now,if you could get one of those 6x9s in the dash opening,it wouldn't be stereo,but you could hear music with the windows down]...

Thanks for the input, the clarion does have 3 Sets of 4V preamp outputs (front, rear and subwoofer), so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I am concerned about the screen hitting the dash, I won't trim the dash. Maybe I'll just use a Kenwood single din head unit. As far as the epicenter, I'll be good with sending the sound through without using the stereos xover. I heard a similar system, and the sound was good. I have two epicenters on my sons other cars (Camaro, Neon SRT4) we installed, I know they are different setups but I like what they bring to the bass. I know the luv will be limited because of the box space but it should be fine. My thought for a sub box is to custom make one that will fit and be built into the back seat with the subs facing the rear. I'll extend the box, top and bottom, from the back of the seat forward towards the back of the cabin without hitting so that I can extend the bench seat all the way back. If that makes sense,,,,.

For the mids and highs, I hope that the truck being so limited with interior space will be loud enough inside with what I plan on doing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Sounds like you have it pretty well buttoned down. I Just wasn't sure if the sub out on the Clarion was full range or the usual 50/80/100 low pass. Have you considered the Alpine SWR-8 subs? I know they aren't 10's,but the box requirement is just about the same size as the box they ship in,they don't have a pole vent,so you save box depth by being able to sink the sub to the bottom of the box without blocking the normal pole vent,they WILL take 500 watts continuous,in that tiny sealed box and will absorb all the punishment that the EPI will throw at it. They are about $100 though.And I agree,that the EPI brings "it" to the music. I had one in my 82 Sentra competition car back in the early 90's [IASCA and USAC,501-1000 watt amateur class]. Of course that was when walls of 15's lined every interior space,sub boxes were poured concrete and 1"+ thick bullet proof glass replaced all the windows...lol But it did get the SPL up over 180db..[see Alma Gates Ford Bronco]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I'm only hesitant with the Alpine sub because I've never had one. I like the brand but never had the subs. I installed an Alpine hu, Alpine type R 6x9's and I believe 6 1/2's in the doors with Avionixx digital amps. I like the sound that those Alpine speakers put out, nice. For base I installed some 12" Kickers. Kickers have never let me down. In my sons 91 z28, we installed two 12" JL Audio W6's with JL Audio amps and the epicenter. The z28 is loud. JL audio does a good job.

I like Clarion because of the old school Clarion stereos, and eq's from 20+ years ago. I've tried a few different combinations and they all sound good to me. I also tried different combination in my truck and in my other two kids cars.

I just bought the epicenter and Clarion 6x9's last night. I'll see what happens with the rest. I'll read up on those Alpines, like most of us with our projects, I'm on a small budget.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Just got it back, not bad, good enough for me. Not the Jasmine color but close.

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 9182 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 9182 times ]

Last edited by m3638 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 9182 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 9182 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:46 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I'm thinking the just dashes work cost more than my truck?
What are you guys doing to replace the rubber floor?
I had a 79 with the aftermarket carpet with insulation and it worked great. It lasted 12 hard years of daily deer hunting.
I thought about paint on bed liner since I have one rust spot to repair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

m3638 wrote:

L@@king good 8)

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:04 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

geneinnc wrote:
I'm thinking the just dashes work cost more than my truck?
What are you guys doing to replace the rubber floor?
I had a 79 with the aftermarket carpet with insulation and it worked great. It lasted 12 hard years of daily deer hunting.
I thought about paint on bed liner since I have one rust spot to repair.

I just paid for my dash from Just Dashes, $1,300. They said I should have it in about 3 to 4 weeks. If it comes out to be like the ones I've seen them do, it will be worth it. For the floor, I'm putting in the deadener/ insulation you see on this thread plus the carpet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:05 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU wrote:
m3638 wrote:

L@@king good 8)

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm waiting to see how the dash turns out. I am wanting one myself...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:47 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I don't think the dash clears a fold out screen.

I have the 5 channel alpine v12 older model in my suv and it sounds amazing with the 10 some odd Bose speakers with individual cross overs and an old comp vr 12 on the bass channel. I had an extra 240 watt v12 2 channel bridgeable amp to install when they did the 5 channel and the stereo shop said I didn't need it. They were right. The 5 channel is great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:28 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yes the dash won't clear a flip out, I tried :lol: another subwoofer system you could try is 4 8" subs. I built a custom box that holds 4 8s that goes over the tranny tunnel behind the seat. I can post a picture if you'd like

White 79 LUV. Factory a/c

My trucks run perfect 60% of the time all the time 8)
Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Jacobbarnes1 wrote:
Yes the dash won't clear a flip out, I tried :lol: another subwoofer system you could try is 4 8" subs. I built a custom box that holds 4 8s that goes over the tranny tunnel behind the seat. I can post a picture if you'd like

Show the pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:05 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

m3638 wrote:
3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU wrote:
m3638 wrote:

L@@king good 8)

Thanks

My favorite thread. Thinking strongly about repainting mine just to get rid of what little rust is there. I found the color code somewhere on Jasmine. Can it be duplicated now?

I have owned a LUV most of my adult life. So many memories of that truck saving my family's bacon during blizzards.
We had one 18" snow that shut down the south. This was before EMS had 4x4. No snow removal here. My sister went septic, but I got her to the ER.

Anyway , I digress. GREAT Build.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next