LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pertronix install
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Installed the Pertronix upgrade today. Took about half an hour. Just had to adjust the timing a bit. I've read that some have re gapped their spark plugs. I left my alone. Truck is running just fine.

Post subject: Re: Pertronix install
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Which kit did you go with?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Ordered the 1643 kit from Retro Rockets.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:44 pm 

I posted this on another thread so sorry in advance but I really need help with the Pertronix 1643

Bringing back and Old thread for some help. I bought the Pertronix 1643 from Amazon last year and trying to install it now but have no instructions and I don't know much about automobile electronics at all, so far it has been pretty much straight forward, remove cap rotor, disconnect the wires remove the points plate, 2 screws - 3 if you count the ground wire but that will be reinstalled, and the other single phillip screw that was holding a tiny tension mount that contacted the distributor shaft next to the points. I cleaned the surface where the new 1643 ignitor plate was to be installed then installed it with the 2 screws making sure to reinstall the ground wire on one of the two screws. I routed the new black and red wires from the ignitor inside and around the distributor housing through and out of the original white electrical screw gourmet. At this point I am stuck, how is the black plastic magnetic ring that is provided supposed to be installed? slits up or slits down? the hole on the side with the slits is a little smaller than the side without. I tried to install it slits up by pushing it as far down as I can but then the bottom of the magnetic ring rubs the ignitor plate mounting screws and when the rotor is installed it is difficult to turn the shaft, the rotor contact is pushing up on the distributor cap and causing the cap tp move or dislodge, also the magnet ring top sits lower than the top of the ignitor housing so that setup can't be correct, correct? I also noticed on youtube a install that the magnetic ring was installed with the big hole faced up and the rotor fit over the shaft like usual but into that black magnetic ring, this would seem to work but my rotor sleeve will not fit into the magnetic ring so with that set up there is no way to fit the distributor cap on. Can anyone help me with this. How do I install the black magnetic ring? slits installed facing up or down? is the top of the black magnetic ring supposed to be flush with the top of the ignitor housing? BTW the new ignitor housing is slightly higher then the distributor housings edge, could I have been sent the wrong magnetic ring? being that there is no way of making these parts fit vertically no matter how I install the magnetic ring unless I dermal the tops of the ignitor plate mounting screws and push the ring further down, but then the top of the magnetic ring won't be flush with the ignitor housing, at least half inch lower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I believe the slits are down. You can email Pertronix and they will help with the install. They helped me when I had some questions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:26 pm 

I emailed Pertronix and they are sending me a replacement magnetic ring, the one they sent me with the kit has 6 slits or magnets and apparently the ring should only have 4 slits for my 4 cylinder and not 6 which from what I was told is for a 6 cylinder engine. The pertronics tech guy didn't have a photo of the supposed correct ring which he is shipping to me so can anyone that has done this electronic ignition conversion on their 78 4cylinder LUV with the Nippondenso distributor confirm the 4 slit or magnet being the correct ring. I also noticed that the ring I have has the part # 1641 and not 1643 like the kit states. Getting frustrated with this being several weeks into this project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 pm 

I just received a call from Pertronix and apparently the (1641) 6 slits magnetic ring is the correct ring. They said if I flip over the ring I will notice 4 small circles evenly spaced apart which are the magnets so I checked and yes the are 4 evenly spaced circles but the problem Im having is the when I seat the ring install the rotor and cap then physically turn the distributor shaft it doesn't turn freely, in fact I can visually see, as I turn the shaft, the cap is moving as the rotor pushes up on the cap contact points. Did anyone that did this install experience the same issue? the Pertronix guy said its my distributor but I have 2 identical distributors the one in my 78 LUV and from a stand by stock 1.8 isuzu engine from a 78 LUV, I tried the kit on both nippondenso's and had the same rubbing issues. The guy from Pertronix said I can trim down the plastic ring and try to seat it down a little lower but I'm thinking is this normal? I thought this kit was a plug and play no modifications necessary? any input on your installs would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm 

Got it, a poster let me know its the Blk/yellow wire for ignition power. The Pertronix was pretty simple one you know which wire is which, just 3 wires to hook up the red and black from the distributor electronic kit goes positive (red0 and negative (black) to the coil and the original Blk/yellow that was on the resistor goes on the coil positive, the other wire disregard, runs okay but have to time it now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Question, hook up resistor or bypass resistor. I have my resistor hooked up. I was thinking about bypassing the resistor. If I do should I re-gap the spark plugs? Anyone have a similar setup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

My coil is 1.4 ohms so I guess I need to use the ballest resistor.