LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hi everyone. I just installed a new distributor on my 79' LUV. The reason for the distributor install is to upgrade from using points :) I did the normal and checked the engine timing after the install and adjusted the engine idle speed. The distributor seems to work great, except now from idle, if I mash on the accelerator it will hesitate and die. If I baby it and go super slow then everything works fine. The problem also happens while I'm in any gear and mash on the accelerator, if the rpm's are very low. Once past that hesitation point (higher rpm's) then I can mash on the accelerator without any issues. I'm going to reinstall my old distributor to see if this problem goes away tomorrow, but does anyone know what the problem could be? Is this a common issue with these distributors? Thanks :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like a bad accelerator pump in the carb. to me. But I agree that the dist. is the first place to check because it's what was changed most recently.

To check the accl. pump...... with the eng. off and the choke opened, by hand, open the throttle. Look down in the carb., you should see a squirt of gas like a squirt gun shot. If not, the accelerator pump is not working.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:52 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Vacuum advance on new distributor not connected or not working. Or---accelerator pump in carb not working as above.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Reinstalled my old distributor and the problem went away. I'm pretty sure the vacuum advance on the new distributor was working. When I set the timing and hooked in the vacuum advance the timing advanced. Though it went so far I could no longer see it. Perhaps it was malfunctioning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:36 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

You gotta disconnect the vac line to set timing.

If you've disconnected it and it still doesn't drive right, try setting it with the vac advance line On and put it at 11 degrees. Then go drive it and see if it's better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:11 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I timed it correctly with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged. Are you saying the vacuum advance effectively advances the engine to 11 degrees?

Before I disconnected I did try advancing and retarding it just to see what happen, but it still had the same issues.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

I forget on which truck and why I had to, but I had to add in a vacuum delay thing in the advance vac. line. The vacuum was coming on too soon and too strong, advancing the timing too soon. The delay valve? diaphram? I forget what it was called, helped it out a lot. It was a little plastic round thing that connected in line. about the size of a quarter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

It could be flooding when you floor it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Could be, but how do you explain that it works fine with my old distributor installed? How do I adjust the carb so it doesn't flood?

UPDATE: installed another distributor and the truck still exhibits the same problem. Makes me believe the distributor isn't the problem, but something else is the cause.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:38 pm 

Weber carb?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:59 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

A stock Hitachi. I do have a new Weber I need to install.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 am 

Yeah I don't know how to adjust the float on the Hitachi. The Weber is pretty simple though you just have to bend the tab that pushes the needle... That will change how much fuel you're getting on acceleration.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:16 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Stock carb has a glass sight window on the front face, proper fuel level is centered on the circle etched into the glass. If your float/fuel level is correct at idle look elsewhere, possibly your accelerator pump.
To adjust the float/fuel level you remove the front float chamber cover (which contains the sight glass), remove the float (be careful, there are some tiny plastic float pivot spacers that are easy to lose but must be there for the float to operate properly), very slightly bend the tab that contacts the needle valve up to lower the fuel level, down to raise.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Your sparks not right, your spark timing's not right, or your spark plugs aren't right. All this is easy to check.

Timing: Hook up your timing light with the advance connected. At idle, you should be a few degrees BTDC. As you rev the engine, it should smoothly advance. If not, that's a likely problem. I've accidentally hooked up to manifold vacuum before but then I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm sure you wouldn't make that mistake.

Spark: Get an old plug. Open the gap to about .050, and hook the #1 wire to it. Crank the engine and look at the spark. You should have a nice hot blue-ish spark. If not, your new distributor's not performing like it should. I've zapped myself doing this but then, like I said, I'm not the brightest bulb in the box. I'm sure you wouldn't make that mistake.

Plugs: When I put the electronic ignition in mine, I had to open the gap to.045, which is what the newer pups with electronic distributors recommend. For some reason it doesn't run as well at .030 with the hotter spark. I don't know why but, like I said, I'm not the crunchiest chip in the bag.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

So you don't time it the same as the old style distributors? I usually time it with the advance unplugged and plugged off so no air is let in. The time it to 6 degrees btdc. Then I reconnect the timing advance. I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct hose.

I can try changing the timing on it like you've suggested and also adjust the spark plug gap. Thank you for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 am 

Did you ever get this figured out? Here's the part number I used for an '85 Isuzu pickup 1.9 distributor from Rock Auto: A-1 CARDONE Part # 31550. Is that what you bought? It almost sounds like the opposite of vacuum advance is happening- vacuum retard??

1okey2go is right about the larger spark gap, since it's now an electronic distributor vs. a points style; hotter spark allows a larger gap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

That's the same one I purchased. Not resolved yet, but I'll let you know in a few days. I don't think the vacuum is retarding it, but it seems to advance it a whole lot once I hook up the hose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

beerguy wrote:
Did you ever get this figured out? Here's the part number I used for an '85 Isuzu pickup 1.9 distributor from Rock Auto: A-1 CARDONE Part # 31550. Is that what you bought? It almost sounds like the opposite of vacuum advance is happening- vacuum retard??

1okey2go is right about the larger spark gap, since it's now an electronic distributor vs. a points style; hotter spark allows a larger gap.

I'm thinking the same thing here. It acts like it is retarding the timing with the vacuum hooked up.
The 80 stock dist works like this: You set the timing to 6 BTDC with vacuum disconnected and plugged, engine at idle 800-900 rpm. when you reconnect the vacuum line there should be no change in timing. When you open the throttle to rev up the engine the timing should then jump ahead and advance. If you have vacuum at idle something is connected wrong. Are both distributors exactly the same? Rotate the same way--etc? Vacuum advanc unit in the exact same place on both distribitors? Something wrong here I believe. Keep us informed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Yes, it rotates the same way and has the advance in the same location. I will let you know what I find out after trying a few things. Thanks :)