LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Door Hinge Pin Repair?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:53 pm 

Does anybody know if something like this will fix my saggy doors? my hinges are getting a little sloppy..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-GM-Door-Hi ... 9a&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i believe there are bushings in the door by the pins, and you can just buy new ones from a local shop for cheap and that will fix it, atleast thats what my buddys dad told me..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Those pins look like the ones in a late model half ton. I have not seen a bushing or pin repair kit for a LUV. that does not mean that there are non out there, I just have not the size we need.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 pm 
da LUV masta

look for the scrunch fix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Alright guys I have the answer to the hinge problem. I just finished rebuilding my 79 luv top & bottom door hinges about 1 week ago. I have a friend who is a Machinest & he was able to make brass bushings-sleeves to repair the worn out plastic bushings that Isuzu used. I also had him create brand new hardend pins to replace the cracked or broken pins that retain the spring and roller arm. He also created new roller arms. The only thing I haven't figured out is what spring to use in place of the fatory spring which is usally missing after the roller arm snaps off. Thinking a valve spring would work but haven't gotten that far. The hard part is getting the hinges apart because they are cast & too much heat will crack them. I was able to heat it just right & get the hinge pins out with no problems. I paid $250 for the total R&D to make the pieces & get the materials. I not only did this for me but also for you guys on the this site. Now that he has everything needed to repair our hinges the price is set at $135 bucks for both doors upper & lower. This doesn't cover shipping costs & the Only thing you won't get is the spring if it was already missing. Still working on that! Let me know if any of you guys are interested & I'm telling you all that he does excellent work. When the hinges are put back together it looks factory. I'll try & post pics tomorrow after work.
Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

if you took precise measurements of the bushings im sure you could find something that matches that is a more common vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Since the factory bushing was just a plastic sleeve that Isuzu used there are no replacements to be had. I mentioned early in the other post that he made the new bushings from brass & was incorrect about that. He is making the new bushing from a preformed oil bronze rod. The material has oil massaged into it so the bushings will last the life of truck. In other words they will require very little maintainance. I don't think the price is too bad seeing is how it makes the doors open & close like a vintage classic car now. Who knows the more hinges he repaired the cheaper the price will get.
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 am 
Addicted to LUV

Find a drill bit that fits inside the hinge, that gives you the outside diameter, then have someone with a micrometer give you the measurement of the pin for the inside diameter. McMaster-Carr will be your friend....

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 am 
Addicted to LUV

If anyone finds a pin that is a close match to a Luv's please post. =)

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

It isn't the pins on the hinge that are worn. The pins are made from a harden steel, what wears out is the casted hinge surrounding the pin. The only way to fix the hinge is to remove the pin and drill out the hole. Then have a new sleeve pressed into the hole, reinstall the pin. If you want the hinges fixed to better than new send me your old set as a core and I will send you a remanufactured set of luv hinges. I have 2 sets on hand. My Machinest already has new bushing sleeves, harden steel pins, and the pivot arm made and ready to go. The tooling is done guys. Price without shipping is $135 for both doors. That doesn't cover the spring if it is missing. I don't make money on shipping so whatever I pay you pay. I'm just trying to help & remedy a problem here.
Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

1badluv wrote:
It isn't the pins on the hinge that are worn. The pins are made from a harden steel, what wears out is the casted hinge surrounding the pin. The only way to fix the hinge is to remove the pin and drill out the hole. Then have a new sleeve pressed into the hole, reinstall the pin. If you want the hinges fixed to better than new send me your old set as a core and I will send you a remanufactured set of luv hinges. I have 2 sets on hand. My Machinest already has new bushing sleeves, harden steel pins, and the pivot arm made and ready to go. The tooling is done guys. Price without shipping is $135 for both doors. That doesn't cover the spring if it is missing. I don't make money on shipping so whatever I pay you pay. I'm just trying to help & remedy a problem here.
Mike.

Hey Mike do you still have a set of hinges? I sent you a PM

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 am 

1badluv wrote:
Alright guys I have the answer to the hinge problem. I just finished rebuilding my 79 luv top & bottom door hinges about 1 week ago. I have a friend who is a Machinest & he was able to make brass bushings-sleeves to repair the worn out plastic bushings that Isuzu used. I also had him create brand new hardend pins to replace the cracked or broken pins that retain the spring and roller arm. He also created new roller arms. The only thing I haven't figured out is what spring to use in place of the fatory spring which is usally missing after the roller arm snaps off. Thinking a valve spring would work but haven't gotten that far. The hard part is getting the hinges apart because they are cast & too much heat will crack them. I was able to heat it just right & get the hinge pins out with no problems. I paid $250 for the total R&D to make the pieces & get the materials. I not only did this for me but also for you guys on the this site. Now that he has everything needed to repair our hinges the price is set at $135 bucks for both doors upper & lower. This doesn't cover shipping costs & the Only thing you won't get is the spring if it was already missing. Still working on that! Let me know if any of you guys are interested & I'm telling you all that he does excellent work. When the hinges are put back together it looks factory. I'll try & post pics tomorrow after work.
Mike.

Mike are hinges still available for my 80 Luv? If so where and how much?

Last bumped by Wayne Ellis on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:55 am.