LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm 
da LUV masta

Guys
New to the forum.Bought a 1975 LUV 2wd and have some issues.Truck had been setting for a while,drained old gas put in fresh with fuel treatment,replaced fuel lines and filters a couple of times. New exhaust 1.78 diameter with a glasspack..it was as much as I could afford.
Now it is cutting out at high rpm no tach 3rd and fourth gear above 45 mph.Check cap, points and tor, some corrosion so I filed the pints and contacts on the rotor.Ordered parts for tune up, but it will run fine for about 3 miles at high rpm then cuts out.Re checked points and no pitting.
Any ideas?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If its good for a bit, and then runs bad, it might be starving for fuel. Maybe a rusty tank that keeps plugging the filter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:39 pm 
da LUV masta

Checked the filter.It is ok.Kinda think it might be the ballast resistor frying the points.What is the switch on the gas pedal inside the cab? Also having trouble with it not wanting to idle.Carb was rebuilt under 300 miles ago. Idle circuit or is their a cutoff solenoid. Also someone mentioned a oil pressure cut off switch?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 pm 
da LUV masta

I had a bunch of problems from buying a truck that sat for 10 years. On this thread are just some of the things I did to get it to run 90 mph on the frwy from 30-40 top speed I had. I'm currently fixing more stuff.
Click here for link>
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22408

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:48 pm 
da LUV masta

The points are ok,replace cap, condenser and rotor. Have plenty of fuel pressure,I thought pump was bad,but if I take of either the return or the feed line gas is shooting out at a good stream. 4 to 5 psi pump.
Replaced the fuel filter again.I cut it apart and there is a ton of rust.Does anyone know if I can get a new tank? I have used the rust and coating treatment on motorcycle tanks but not on a car.I put on a see through filter so I can make sure it is getting fuel.Also have one at the tank to catch more stuff.(This was the plugged one.)
Can I get away with changing the fuel filter for a while till I chase out all the rust.I put E-85 in to eat up all the excess water in the dam tank after draining it, fuel is not as milky as before.
Any other ideas?
Eventually will get get a Petronix conversion for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:27 pm 

Instead of getting a new tank just take that to a radiator shop and have it boiled out.
You could even have it recoated if you want (or do it yourself with POR-15's treatment), or just make sure you keep gas in it so it doesn't rust.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:22 pm 
da LUV masta

I cleaned out the tank with two gallons of muratic acid.I must admit that getting the tank out of the truck was pretty easy. Replaced all the bolts with stainless.I got a half gallon of rust out of the bottom of the tank! I am getting way more fuel volume than before.Now I can replace the points and be done with the tuneup!