LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:56 pm 
da LUV masta

wow i luv the black one withthe fins looks like that adds 2hp =D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:53 pm 

Post up pics please, you may have something special/rare.

ill try and get some pics up this week..work is just really crazy at the moment..in the mean time ive posted pics of my luv and my other car! check it out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:11 pm 

haha it turns out that my valve cover is a steel one.its just painted silver and looks like alloy..i really should know my metals considering im a fitter and turner..im a bit embarrssed haha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 pm 
da LUV masta

For 1972, the clutch disc is 1" shaft with 10 splines. '73 and up are something different.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:53 pm 

I'm very new to the luv truck...I just purchased a 1979 Mikado 4x4.I am just needind some general parts.so my question is what year range will most parts interchange on these trucks?Thank you guys...Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dwillis wrote:
I'm very new to the luv truck...I just purchased a 1979 Mikado 4x4.I am just needind some general parts.so my question is what year range will most parts interchange on these trucks?Thank you guys...Dave

The basic body style went from 72-80. There were differences between them though. Older trucks had 4 headlights, newer had 2. There were two differently designed engines in them, but both were 1.8L. There were two gauge cluster styles, two different doors, some with wind wings and some not etc.
Welcome to the site.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:14 am 

thank you for your help..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:18 am 
da LUV masta

I was up in WA a few months back, somewhere around Olympia, and saw a LUV with an extended cab. Looked quite nice. I'll try to post pics if that helps. 2 headlights, and it was the <'80 body style.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:57 pm 

My 1980 4x4 has a bug guard - may have been a dealership thing not sure though - kinda cool it has a worn but visible chevrolet sticker on it still. Also my bed has aluminum sheet metal lining the sides looks super professional but don't think/know if either of these were stock options.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've went through all the pages on this post, but is there any changes made between the 79 and 80 CA Luv, on
the motors, smog equipment, or Cat's?

Also the 1980 is considered the series 10, correct? I have (Chevrolet) Shop manuals for the 79, 80, & 81.
On the general information page, the 79 manual has a picture of a Series 10. The 80 manual shows the Series 11 (the look-alike to the Isuzu pup). My understanding is that the 81 & 82 are the Series 11?

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 am 

I have a 1975 at least thats what the tittle says. Does anyone know where the vin #s are? There isn't any on the drivers side dash where they are normally.
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

search.php?keywords=vin+location&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Here is what I was able to come up with a simple search

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:59 pm 

Thanks D A Mech for the info I will check out the frame for it..
Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

This post is for changes in the LUV over the years, lets try not to ask where is this, what is that, we have several other places for that.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:49 am 

800xl wrote:
1972 First year of production. Tail lights are round and positioned under the tail gate. The rear corners of the bed and the tailgate are different from later year trucks with lights up in the corners of the bed. Two reflectors were mounted on the tailgate as well.

1973 I don't know of any significant changes, though perhaps round tail lights were replaced with rectangular ones, still under the tailgate.

1974 Last year before tail lights went into the corners of the bed (?) First year for electric automatic choke.

1975 Tail lights in corners of the bed, red stop/tail and red turn lenses. Tailgate has 3 tie down hooks, and there are 4 on the bed sides. This was the last year for front drum brakes and for the original 1.8L motor. This motor has the intake and exhaust both on the driver's side of the motor, and has a bare aluminium valve cover.

1976 1st MAJOR update to the LUV. Disc brakes up front, new 1.8L motor with cross flow head. Intake and carb now mounted on passenger side of the motor. Valve cover is wider and made of sheet metal painted black. Motor mounts are in a different position on the frame than in earlier years.
The front bumper was changed to a wider design and the valance right behind it is different as well. This also changes the design of the front turn signal assemblies.

1977 Last year for hydraulic clutch, slave cylinder located on passenger side of trans, also last year for wing windows and 4 small round headlights. First year for amber rear turn signal lenses. Tailgate now has 2 tie down hooks instead of 3, sides have 3 hooks instead of 4.

1978 First year for no wing windows and two large headlights instead of 4. I believe first year for long wheelbase models, and there are some rumors of factory 4x4 models from 78, but I've never confirmed. The fuse block is now shorter with less fuses. (got rid of four, one for each headlight) Headlights now have a thermal circuit breaker up under the dash I think. This was the first year for the cable clutch, the clutch fork moved to the driver's side of the bellhousing to make cable routing easy.

78 or 79 ? Minor changes to interior trim, round gauges instead of of egg shaped, and different texture on the gauge cluster and glove box door. Side vent design changed to match. Ducting was added from the blower to these vents and the wind driven foot vents were eliminated. The seat belts also changed in 78 or 79 to use a different latch. They are not compatible with older belt buckles. The button on the latch became square instead of round with this change.

1979 First official year of 4x4 model. This was the first 4x4 production vehicle (according to what I've read) with IFS. Nothing major changed other than the unknowns between 78 or 79 above. 4x4 models have a different torsion bar configuration to go along with the front axle. Changes were made to the frame mounts for the torsion bars and axle.

1980 Basically the same as 1979, I believe the 4x4 dash light was added (but that might be a Mikado option from 79). There is a minor change to the side marker lights, the mounting and lenses are slightly different. The voltage regulator connector is round as opposed to squarish, but I'm not sure what else changed along with that. 1980 4x4 models got a larger clutch disc (8.5") with flywheel and pressure plate changes to go with.

1981 2nd MAJOR rework of the LUV. Body style completely changed, interior completely changed. Gas tank now on passenger side of truck. Frame and motor are basically unchanged, with a few exceptions. Distributor is now electronic instead of points, but still fits into older motors. I believe this was the first year a diesel motor was an option.

1982-1986 Isuzu PUP continues pretty much the same as the 1981 LUV. GM switches to the S10 line, some of the 1st years of which have the same 1.8L Isuzu 4 cyl motor. The PUP doesn't really change too much up to about 85 or 86 when the 2.3L 4cyl gas motor is added. Even then the motor mounts appear to be in about the same places. 87 or so they switched to a fuel injection 2.3L and 2.6L, but still probably physically compatible. 87 was the first year in Troopers for 4x4 transfer case to be seperate from the transmission(?). Before the the tcase and transmission (including the 5Spd) should be physically compatible to 76 and newer LUV motors.

Anyone and everyone please feel free to kibitz this and add to it. I left off Mikado options this pass, I'll research some of the discussions we've already had on that and add it in.

'74s had taillights in corners of bed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

Incorrect, 74 was under the bed, if yours are in the corner someone changrd the bed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

Luvrv8 wrote:
Incorrect, 74 was under the bed, if yours are in the corner someone changrd the bed.

What he said. :)

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Seen a couple of articles mentioning that 81-82 Luvs had the fuel tanks on the drivers side, mine has it on the pass side! I thought this may be a diesel only item but someone corrected me by saying they owned a diesel with the fuel door on the left side. Don't know why, we owned a fleet of 12 81-82 diesel powered Luvs and they all had the fuel door on the pass side,
Also in 1972 I bought one of the first Luvs in Las Vegas and it came with factory air, perhaps installed by Fletcher Jones Chevrolet but looked factory.
Some really great information here, many thanks for all of your hard work!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

Hey Mods, who has the power here to clean up the post, several things got off track here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:55 pm 

Did Chevrolet offer a Luv Truck with a stepside bed? What years were they included? One last question. What's an original LUV stepside look like?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next