LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

on this ifs thing if i remember right i read somewhere it was the first small truck with i fs but don't quote me i could be wrong but i am pretty sure on that. just my 2

Post subject: 79 4X4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:32 am 

The 79 4x4 was the first production 4 wheel drive mini truck. The Toyota soon followed.

I have a 79 4x4 that i bought brand new. It has the bumper guards that LIl Blue mentioned. And factory air, decals , am/fm radio, below eye level mirrors, rear sliding window, skid plates, Mikado package and chrome rear step bumper.

I don`t think the fog lights came from the factory? I have never read anything that mentioned factory fog lights. I had fog lights like Lil Blue mentioned, but they never came from the factory. My truck also has a brush guard and winch that never came from the factory.

One thing, my truck never came with the Mikado emblems on the bed, but i have seen other 4x4 79`S that had them!

I have all the original paperwork and widow sticker that came with my truck. But, sadly my truck is now so rusty it is not safe to drive!!

Ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:40 am 
The only thing Chevy didn't give the luv as a factory option that they should have was a Small "V8" other than that they built the perfect Light Utility Vehicle! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:25 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

V8NLUV wrote:
The only thing Chevy didn't give the luv as a factory option that they should have was a Small "V8" other than that they built the perfect Light Utility Vehicle! :wink:

The v6 form the other isuzu's would've made a more-decent sport option...

Post subject: More Info
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

We've all been discussing changes between the years, a few I have noted are rear bumper and bed changes ( I'm in that section of my book today).
Bumper
Series 1,2,3 had a split bumper
Series 4, 5, 6, 8 have a regular bumper
Series 9, 20 had a step bumper
Series 2-10 could be had with this same painted step bumper
Series 8,9,10 could be had with a chrome step bumper

Bed
Series 1 had round tailights under tailgate, chains for the tailgate, reflectors on tailgate, no rear side marker lights(?)
Series 2, 3 has rectangle tailights under tailgate, chains for tailgate, no reflectors, has rear side marker lights.
Series 4-10 had the tailights on the bed corners, metal straps for tailgate, side marker lights
Series 9,10 Cailfornia Emmisions 4wd models had the spare tire mounted inside bed vice under bed.
Series 1,2,3 had a removable tailgate panel on the inside of the tailgate, installed with screws.
Series 2-10 could be had with mud flaps.

Please lets keep this topic on track with the changes between years, models and options. Not what they should have had. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Early models (series 1-3?) also had a 10 gallon fuel tanks instead of the 13 gallon in the later models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:32 am 
Banishment Pending

Yeah a larger power plant would have been nice from the factory, too bad Isuzu didn't make anything larger than a 4 banger back in those days, unless of course you wanted a diesel, which in my opinion would not have been that bad, Isuzu is the oldest diesel engine manufacturer still in buisness, a nice Duramax 4 banger would be rather nice for a little Luv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ike, If you could post a picture of that window sticker that would be a cool thing to look at.[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

I just got the parts and illustration book today, there is a mountain of this sort of information in there. My documentation project just took on a whole new dimension. I could write pages just on what the 72 series 1 trucks had that is unique. There are a few things that even seem to look the same, but have different part numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:50 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Husker4eva wrote:
Great thread I loved the info!! Although my 75 has 1.8 but the Valve cover is the one with Isuzu on it....... maybe it was from a different engine?? not sure really but it does have the Int and Ext on the drivers side? Who knows but it was like that when I bought it, so could be someone elses work.

Is that definite on the bare aluminum valve cover for 75?

My 75 has Int and Exh on the drivers side but I also have "Isuzu" embossed on the Valve cover. From the overall condition of the truck, I would assume it's the original.

"Rum And Pepsi's Got Your Whole Perception Of Me Sketchy.....Cause When I Stage Dive, People Are Scared To Catch Me"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

Both motor types actually have Isuzu formed into the valve cover. The difference is that the 72-75s have a two piece cover cast out of aluminum and the 76-up has a one piece made out of pressed sheet steel. Actually I guess the early type is more than two piece, if you count the camshaft carrier (biggest chunk, with Isuzu printed on the top), the side access plate, and the sproket cover in the front.

Sorry if that bit was confusing before. Put it like this, carb/exhaust on same side means series 1-4 or 72-75. Carb on one side, exhaust on the other means 76+. With this new book I could go into great detail and describe how to id a 72 motor vs a 73 with subtle differences, but this thread is better off as a general reference instead of getting that far into it.

Post subject: CA Luv bed
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

Series 9,10 Cailfornia Emmisions 4wd models had the spare tire mounted inside bed vice under bed.

Anyone have this bed? IF so please post a picture of it.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'll scan a pic of the parts/illust box page on the spare when I get back to my computer. The bed is the same, they just have a bracket on the front wall of it to hold up the tire. Take the thing the under bed spare hangs on off the end of the chain and picture it bolted to the front wall of the bed right behind the driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:25 am 

beautiful!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

my cali 80 has the spare tire under the bed. the only year i have seen where it is in the bed is 79. i know the wiring for the choke on a 78 is diffrent from the wiring on an 80 as well. matt

Post subject: wow thats a good post!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:07 pm 
great info man
right on! 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:09 am 
Just an addition to the '79 spare tire location debate. My '79 4x4 has the spare mounted in the rear underneath and is not a California model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm 
Does anybody have any information on how many Luv's were produced for each year or series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

the production numbers issue came up before and it was being worked on. one idea might be to check VIN for lowest/highest vin for an estimated production run. what do you guys and gals think?????

Post subject: vin #
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:52 am 

I am dieing for production numbers!! And history in any shape or form!

Here is the vin # for my 79 4x4 built in Nov. 78. CRN1498213046.

I read somewhere years ago, that there was around 25,000 79 4x4`s built and around 4,000 had factory Air. I can`t remember where i read this, or how accurate this is?

Post your vin, and mabe we see what is a low number or high, for any particular year and model?

Thanks,
Ike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next