LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Wing Windows and Posi
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Could you get wing windows in 72 or did it start in a later year?

Also My 80 Luv 4x4 has a Posi rearend. Was that a option or just a aftermarket kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The wing windows were the standard in 72. They changed in 77 or 78?

As for the rear, don't think that was a factory option...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:44 pm 
THIS is an excellent thread :!:

I have a lil bit of Mikado info to add: I am not sure what years but I have had 79 2wd and 80 4x4 mikados....I noticed that the dome light in those trucks comes on when opening the door...UNlike my plane-jane trucks of present. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

My master document has a section for Mikado options, though I may need to break that down year by year as well. The Mikado logos changed a couple of times. The 76 bed emblem is all Japanese like font, sort of like Kanji script, 77s had the italic straight font. 79s had the same bed logo, but a different font on the glovebox door. Door panels are very different depending on the year and std/mikado model too.

Posi rears were not an option that I know of, but the LSD rear from mid 80s Isuzu Impulses will fit. Could be a later upgrade, or a very obscure dealer option. I think Auburn made the Impulse diffs, they probably sold a few as kits. Precision Gear also built a powerbrute LSD that would probably fit, and Lockrite used to make an auto locker until very recently as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:59 am 
da LUV masta

My 77 Mikado's dome light works with the doors as well (well atleast the side where the swith is still good) !!

"Love endures all things, Love never fails." - 1 Cor. 13:7,8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:04 pm 
Another lil tidbit that i would like to look into: I have had 2 2wd's and 3 4x4's some mikado ,some not, that had these factory fog lights mounted on the front bumper, they had amber colored lenses that were made of GLASS. The last set I had were in like brand new condition right before I tee-boned that Escalade in Colorado last year.

I have been looking for another set ever since then.I know the parts houses have them,but with plastic lenses.I don't want that.Only the glass lense original type will do for me.

Another thing: What years was a/c available on Luv's, and how hard would it be to put a/c on a currently non a/c truck :?:

Also one more thing: what yrs were the front bumper guards offered. I have a set here on a 72, and a set on a 78 as well. (junk trucks of course).I have never seen these bumper guards on anyone elses trucks, though i do hear ppl mention them from time to time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've yet to run into a set of those fog lights, at least not that I recognized as such. The bumper guards are pretty uncommon, but I think all years had them available, and you seeing them on a 72 and a 78 sorta helps to confirm that.

A/C I have no info on, but I have a hunch it was available from the start. My factory 75 shop manual has a chapter on it, though I've never seen a truck of that vintage with factory A/C. Interesting to note though, the 75 A/C diagrams show all the duct work the same as all 78 and later trucks. In other words, the side dash vents blow from the blower moter instead of wind speed. The center vent is also adjustable and closable. I guess the 78 change was just to make A/C and non-A/C more the same. Less different parts to make. If you have two similar aged trucks, swapping the parts over would just be a lot of work, I wouldn't expect many problems other than there are a lot of parts to swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:25 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

800xl wrote:
1982-1986 Isuzu PUP continues pretty much the same as the 1981 LUV. GM switches to the S10 line, some of the 1st years of which have the same 1.8L Isuzu 4 cyl motor. The PUP doesn't really change too much up to about 85 or 86 when the 2.3L 4cyl gas motor is added. Even then the motor mounts appear to be in about the same places. 87 or so they switched to a fuel injection 2.3L and 2.6L, but still probably physically compatible. 87 was the first year in Troopers for 4x4 transfer case to be seperate from the transmission(?). Before the the tcase and transmission (including the 5Spd) should be physically compatible to 76 and newer LUV motors.

Wouldn't you say "1982 luv and 1983-1986 Isuzu PUP...."
I have a 82 luv... it's my avatar too...
you didn't even mention the 2.2l diesel...
my $.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I didn't intentionally leave the 81-82 crowd out in the cold for info here. The original post was just what I knew and felt like typing out at the time. 81-82 PUPs and LUVs are the same thing other than a couple of badges. You are right, 82 is the last LUV year, I just didn't elaborate enough on that. My work in progress includes some of this info, tho I've never been quite into those years so much so I'm not as well informed about the subtle differences.

That paragraph actually has a lot of bad info in it, 87 troops have a different trans, but the tcase is still integral. I guess I've lernt a tun since dem days.

Post subject: A/C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

from my Series 1 thru 12 LUV Truck Parts and Illustration Catalog, the a/c started on series 3. On your indication that the duct work is the same, I pulled the underdash setup from a '75 Mikado and the ducts are exactly the same as my non-A/C '80. The controls are a bit different. I am slowly obtaining all the parts to add a/c to mine. So far the big differences i see are the dryer, which looks interchangeable other than the way they mount. Obviously the compressor and bracketry due to the newer style engine. More to follow as I move through this big manual. I'm looking for the Mikado options and those foglights...
On the bumper guards, the book lists then as Guard PKG, Bumper and Grill on all series trucks.

Post subject: Other stuff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Some questions to stir the mix a bit...
Were bucket seats available in anything other than Mikado's?
My book shows them as Mikado options.
Was the Sport model only Series 9-12?
Was the Mighty Mike model only Series 6 and 8?
My book shows the decals for only those series...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

I need to get that book. I've looked at picking one of them up before, but I guess it has a lot more info in it than I thought. If nothing else, I will probably have a few questions for ya as I narrow some of this stuff down. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:20 am 
Addicted to LUV

hey roadshow,
does it say anything about the sport models being different in anyway ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:39 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

This is an excellent thread! Thanks for all the info guys :D

I think the perfect thing to do would be to make this a "sticky" thread at the top of the stock truck section for easy reference. What do you think?

"Rum And Pepsi's Got Your Whole Perception Of Me Sketchy.....Cause When I Stage Dive, People Are Scared To Catch Me"

Post subject: Old stuff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Reading back through this post I saw the spare tire mount question and I looked it up. It was inside the bed on Series 9/10 for California 4WD models. And while looking for this, I saw that LUV's could be had with mudflaps for all series and am looking further into this one also...

So far it looks like the sport model is just a stripe package, but I'm looking for more info on this

I see in my manual there were actually Production Option codes and they break out as follows:

AV5 - Seat - High Back Bucket
A28 - Window - Sliding Rear
C60 - Air Cond. - Manual
DG4 - Mirror - Below Eyeline
DL1 - Decals and Stripes - (w/4wd)
D88 - Stripes - Sport
M29 - Trans. - 3 Speed Auto
NB2 - California Emmisions System
NV9 - Shields - underbody (w/4wd)
U63 - Radio - AM Pushbutton
U69 - Radio - AM/FM Pushbutton
U73 - Antenna Standard
VF1 - Bumper - Chrome Rear
V31 - Guard - Frt BPR Chrome
V42 - Bumper - Rear Step Chrome
V43 - Bumper - Rear Step Painted
YA1 - Decor Package - Exterior
YH9 - Interior Deluxe - Mikado
ZW9 - Base Body or Chassis

Post subject: Re: Old stuff
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:00 pm 

Roadshow Bob wrote:
And while looking for this, I saw that LUV's could be had with mudflaps for all series and am looking further into this one also...

My 81 4x4 luv has those... they're mounted the same in all spots so they might be a factory stick on... 3 tiny bolts hold them on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:24 pm 
Banishment Pending

My '80 has mudflaps, but i seriously doubt that they are factory items, they look way too good to be from the factory, but maybe they are, i'm have to look at the original widow sticker that i have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:29 pm 

rezkid wrote:
My '80 has mudflaps, but i seriously doubt that they are factory items, they look way too good to be from the factory, but maybe they are, i'm have to look at the original widow sticker that i have

Lol... everything from chevy's too good... yet sometimes too-good to be true...(the first diesel's they designed...)

But yeah, my 81 has a "luv" window decal on it too... looks nice... i might get a buddy of mine to make a new one to replace it when we fix the truck up... i need one that says Git-r-done on the back window too... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:40 am 
800xl wrote:
1979 First official year of 4x4 model. This was the first 4x4 production vehicle (according to what I've read) with IFS.
well, if you want to be picky, there was a year or two in the 60s when jeep wagoneers were available with IFS. however it didn't sell well and they went back to the live axle in the front which they had until a year ago.

there were also those MUTT military jeeps until the late 70s that had IFS/IRS :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:05 pm 
Banishment Pending

Ok then I guess we can say that the 1979 LUV was the first 4x4 w/ IFS to sell well in the US market

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next