LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ike,
How about we start a new post for the VIN's. I can post mine later today for my 1980 2wd, shortbed, non-Mikado

EDIT: NEW POST STARTED AS "PRODUCTION NUMBERS"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:12 pm 

OK! Sounds great!

I also have a 1980 2 wheel drive. I will post the vin for it.

Thanks,

Ike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

From some visual verification, it seems like the '72 trucks have different door handles and emblems then other years. I like the style of the '72 handles but they don't look like they would fit later doors without mods. And the fender emblem is just block script "L.U.V." without the chevy bowtie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:33 pm 
Seen a LUV factory ad offering bucket seats,ever seen this option?

Last edited by 671SuperchargedLUV on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:33 pm 
Can someone explain what the "Mikado" trim package came with.I also seen a ad that said "Mighty Mike" what is this trim package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have one truck that came with factory bucket seats and Kuranosuke's truck (before he sold it) had them as well. I have them in my 77 now. The seat belt latch portion in factory bucket trucks is a little shorter hard plastic shelled, and mounts more up on the middle hump instead of into the floor. The rubber seatback bumper block on the back of the cab wall is also different, it mounts on a metal spacer for bucket seats that makes it sit an inch or so further out from the wall. According to the parts book bucket seats also included the same center console used in automatic trans trucks with a shifter boot, though I've never seen one with it intact.

Mikado options varied slightly from year to year, but here is the basic list:
Three spoke steering wheel similar to some Grant aftermarket wheels, has a leather-like finish
Rear bed corner "Mikado" emblem
Glovebox Mikado emblem
Door switches for dome light, light is larger/brighter
Lighted ashtray (blue lens)
Deluxe door panels with clotch/seat material insert and cover to the bottom of the door
Dual tone horn
Leather-like shifter knob
Carpet
Mikado emblems changed from a japanese "kanji-like" script to a straight font in 1977. The glovebox emblem changed again in 78 or 79, the parts book doesn't note it but I've got one 79 with a stick on emblem and the older ones are stuck on through holes in the glovebox door.

Mighty Mike is a stripe package that came as option code "D88" on series 6 - 8 (77-78 ) trucks. The parts book describes it thus:
Quote:
Sport stripe D88 "Mighty Mike" option consists of a bold multicolored stripe along the door, the length of the body side, on each side of the hood, and across the lower portion of the tailgate.
In 1979 D88 became the "Sport" option with three color stripes going from front to back and across the hood and tailgate. Both options had the name as a sticker on the back bed corner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

EDIT: DISREGARD.. 800xl has the scoop.... man knows his trucks... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:54 am 
I have a white '77 with a 3" wide purple stripe just like you described,it has a faded look.The color goes from dark to light.So, would this be a "Mighty Mike"D88 option?The decals are factory.I also have a complete working stock center console for auto trans. in another truck.

Thanks for the info!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That sure sounds like a D88 stripe kit, though it should also have a Mighty Mike decal near the back of the bed. Could be someone took that off or maybe your stripe is a dealer installed option that isn't "official" factory.

I have the center console from an auto trans in my 77 (which now has a 4 spd stick) but the parts book shows one put in for 4spd trucks with bucket seats. Its that version I've never laid eyes on.

Roadshow Bob: You turned me onto the idea of getting the series 1-12 parts and illustrations book, so I owe you for all the details that it has filled in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I love that book... Has so much info. I have a different one for just the 72 and am slowly getting the full series of shop manuals. Have the 8, 10, 11, and 12 ones so far. I haven't seen a four speed console yet either.. that I would like to see. Come to think of it I haven't seen a factory console in person yet... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:44 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

First for my questions:
1. When did Mikado models become avalible?
2. Were bumper gaurds only avalible on 4x4's or could you also get them for 2WD?
3. Where can a Series 1 thru 12 LUV Truck Parts and Illustration Catalog be purchased at?
4. How was Mikado written in 78?
5.Were mud flaps avalible on 4x4 only or were they avalible on 2WD also?
And for my final question 6. On the 81 and 82 LUV's, how many gallons were the tanks?
Now for my $.02:
Beginning in 1976 with the series 5 LUV the engine had a crossflow cylinder head with a hemispherical combustion chamber and the timing sprockets and chain layout was changed from the series 1-4. On the series 1-4 the distributor and the oil pump were driven by a layshaft while on the later engines they were driven by a pinion gear in front of the timing sprocket on the crankshaft. A dry single plate clutch transfers drive to the tranny in all models with a manual tranny.An auto tranny was offered as an option in the series 5-11 LUV. In all LUV's drive to the rear axle is by a drive shaft having a universal joint at each end; long wheelbase models are equipped with a two section drive shaft. From the hypoid type differential unit, drive to the roadwheels is by semi-floating axle shafts.
Double acting shock absorbers are fitted front and rear and the front suspension is independent. Series 1-4 have front drum brakes while series 5-12 have front disc brakes. A servo unit is incorparated into all models and all brakes are self adjusting.

1989 Nissan King cab P/u <totalled> 4/1/06
1986 Full size Chevy P/U
1993 Volvo 850 GTL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:01 am 
Addicted to LUV

I can answer a few of your questions:
#1. I think it was brought up earlier in this post. But prior to '75 for sure.
#2. Bumper guards were an option for all models. Not specific to 4WD
#3. ebay .. there's usually one on there and you can probably get one for around $15 plus shipping
#4. You should be able to see the emblem in the brochure on the information pge of this website
#5. There were dealer installed ones which were 2WD and 4WD.
#6. 13.2 Gallons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:47 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Roadshow Bob wrote:
#6. 13.2 Gallons

Didn't the long bed luvs of 81-82 have a 19-20 gal tank as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

from what I found (brochure and magazine article) they were the same. I'll look in the service manual and see if i can find out something different.

Post subject: 79 Mikado
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:16 am 
I have a 79 Mikado, from original owner. Has the Mikado eblem on the glovebox bolts thru, add-on air, interior 2 tone mentioned earlier, plastic square button seatbelts slung from a loop bout sholder high, ( gets stuck alot ), 1.8, cable clutch, short bed, spare under bed, leather shift knob, switch interior light , button switch both doors. did you still want VINs?

Oh Yea has the god awful Coasting Richer crap. You gotta hate Cali smog laws. They randomly picked my LUV and my 93 Chev PU to align them at the same time, and the same year. Random my ass. Thank god I have a Haynes manuel, the CR system can be trying to troubleshoot.

Post subject: 1978 with 1976 engine...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:07 pm 

Hey, great thread by the way! very useful, thanks.

I had a little to add- I have a 1978 truck with a 1976 engine.
I'm rebuilding it and it has hemispherical combustion chambers.
The book also said that 76' was the first year in which this was
incorporated...

maybe I'm wrong-could my engine be newer than I was told?

...I hope so! LoL

:lol:

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?t=8843

1978 Chevy LUV - 2WD - [Work In Progress]
w/1976 1.8L 1815cc Stock Isuzu Motor

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?t=8843

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I was thinking that this information should be molded into some sort of information page on the main site, or maybe a FAQ setup? Any volunteers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If there's no rush, I can work something up using this info and info from the service manuals and throw it into a pdf file

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

I've got a working doc of this stuff mostly written up and a rough draft of a spotters guide sort of thing too. I could use some data from the service manuals that I don't have in my collection though. I'd like to compare axle and trans ratios. I know there are some differences in the early years, at least in the axle ratios.

This thread started out more focused on the cosmetic differences, and since then I've picked up on quite a few actual mechanical differences.

I just have one request, it should be in html not pdf. Spent a lot of time on dial up lately, and PDF now means Perpetual Download Format to me. Also, the marketing department where I used to work liked to pdf up .txt files, always hated that.

Last edited by 800xl on Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next