LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:06 pm 
I just replaced the head gasket along with a valve job. Now the truck cuts out when I accelerate. I think it might be the timing or a carburetor problem. If anyone has any solutions please reply. Thanks Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:23 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Is the truck at full operating temperature when you accelerate?Are you driving the truck or are you in neutral when it cuts out.Try warming up your truck and then try to accelerate.I always had this problem when I had my 4 cylinder,I would start it up and let it run for 10 seconds and I would hit the gas and it would sometimes bacKfire through the carb and shut off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:09 pm 
it cuts out when warm and driving down the road in 2 3 and 4 gear. the engine also seems sluggish while in neutral and revving the engine, however it does not backfire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

if its primarly mid throttle and up i would say check your fuel pump it may be heading south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:44 pm 
this space for rent

check three things, fuel pump, accel pump on the carb, and your timing advance on the distributor. If any one of those is bad the result will be cutting out under accel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:29 am 
Addicted to LUV

I've had several fuel pumps go on me over the years. Always seems to happen around the time of year they switch over to oxygenated (methanol added) fuel around here. The symptom was limited top end (like at 70MPH or so it just couldn't go any faster) and dying off at about the 3-4th shift point under hard acceleration.

If you haven't, change your fuel filter. Then check out the pump and see how it is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:15 am 
Also dont forget to check your fuel filter..... that is if you are running one on it, which might be a good thing to do. I put one on mine just cause I used to have an old 58 Chevy Apache that had ALOT of crap in the tank after those many years. I bought it from this old friend of my dads and it had sat for a few months and all of the sediment built up in the bottom of the tank it took me at least two weeks of having to stop on the side of the road and change out filters on it .... luckily I had bought one of those glass after market filters that you get an extra filter with it lol but I also bought the replacement package that had three extras too, Man I am gonna tell you it sucked having to stop like every 40 or 50 miles just to change out the filter but like I said after a few weeks and a couple of fresh tanks of gas it was finally over with !! lol
Well just my two pennies
Later
Husker

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:55 am 
thanks for all the help. I am going to replace the fuel pump and maybe the accel pump. If that doesnt work, I'll be back with more questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:57 pm 
you might also want to check your plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor. I had a hesitating problem and it turned out being my cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:40 am 
Rebuild your carb, rebuild kits are cheep if ya have the time.I had to rebuild the carb on my 80 because it was doing this. Might sound funny , but put a new gas cap that is a pressure fit cap on it and try again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:03 pm 
John Schoolcraft wrote:
Rebuild your carb, rebuild kits are cheep if ya have the time.I had to rebuild the carb on my 80 because it was doing this. Might sound funny , but put a new gas cap that is a pressure fit cap on it and try again.

:roll: :roll:
I have a simular problem. I have had the carb rebuilt but cannot find a new Accel pump. I have new plugs, wire, cap, and rotor. It ran great for 15 min then died right after many backfires. I do not have a inline filter. Should I add an electric fuel pump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:19 am 
annelopresti , sounds like your problem might be coil related. I think ya should always use a fuel filter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i had something that sounds familiar just happen. it would miss fire and it sounded like it was just not getting gas so after hours of cleaning fuel lines the carb a few times new fuel pump new plugs checking wires it turned out my distributor was bad. i had a couple old ones so i took them put all the good parts in the best housing i had after i cleaned( did u know there suppose to be aluminum and not brown) n e ways i put it all back together with new points and new condensor and she runs fine again. i had put new points and condencer in the one that was in there but i think it was cause some of the grounds where not grounding till to late then it would fire messing it all up. hope this helps. matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:46 pm 
Whats the life span of points? I havent change mine for a long time. It still runs like a stripped ass ape though!! I was under the impresion that if it aint broke dont fix it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:54 pm 
Points life span, yearly or 12-15,000 miles. At least a good check of the contacts on the points themselves to make sure there not burnt or wearing unevenly, a points file can help if they are a miss. In low mileage trucks they could last for years too. Sounds like yours might just need a yearly check when it's running so good. :) But one of the items you want working well at all times. You never know when points can and will fail.

Hope this helps a little man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

I had a 76 LUV that would eat points at the rate of about a set every 4 or 5000 miles. Replace the dist, coil, even some wiring and it still did it. Ran great so I just got used to the idea of blowing through points and carried spares. I can still gap them within a couple of thousandths by feel in the dark, even though I only had to do that once. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:39 am 
ive had my points in my 20r since we got the truck 4 years ago and still good??? and miles ohh man i think ive brang the 0000000 mile thing up twice lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:27 pm 
One thing you fellows didn't mention happened to me. I went thru points, 2 distributors, and 3 carbs. What I found was the rebuilt carbs weren't for s--t. I found the last one had a vacuum leak around the bushings of the primary throttle plate shaft. With the engine off, open the throttle wide from under the hood, and the gas from the acclerator pump would gush out around the bushings. Poor rebuild. That's when I ordered a Weber.