LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Driveshaft removal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hey guys, Well ive started to remove the stock engine and tranny, so that the new chevy 400 and turbo 350 can settle in :twisted:. Now ive gotten as far as everything unbolted off engine that needs to be to remove it, and the tranny to engine bolts are all out....whats next??? Should i pull engine before tranny or vice vers, or can you even pull teh tranny before the engine :? ?? How does the driveshaft dissconnect off of the tranny???? I haven't looked at it closely but just thoguht i would ask to see if there is an easier way to do it?? Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:53 am 
Resident Sparktrician

I'm not sure as I haven't pulled mine yet, but I think most people pull them out together (this is what I will do). From the look of it, I think the driveshaft just slips out of the tail of the tranny. I say this from my observation under the truck today.

I hope this helps, and I will be watching this for pointers as I will be doing the same thing in about a week (I hope)...

1990 Luv 4X4 "Family Cab"
with the big 4 banger on 31" Dueller A/Ts

1989 Dodge Raider with some junk...

"Urban Fighter F.P.C" coming soon to a road near you...:snipersmile:
got BOOBIES? 8O 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

yep eng/trans together in one shot...drive shaft just slides in the tail of the trans.

oh dont forget to remove the shifter first....... unlike someone i know. :roll: :oops:

All I need is my weed, women, and wine. -Edge City Outlaws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you want to pull the drive shaft first, there are 4 bolts that hold it to the rear end. Then you just drop it down and pull it out of the back of the trans.

I've done or helped with just about every option of pulling a LUV motor at one point. Pulling the trans out from under the truck is a big pain, and pulling the motor and leaving the trans in place is just as much of a pain. Pulling the two at once is far far easier than either of the above options. I'd probably pull them both together just to change out a clutch at this point because it is so much easier to deal with them as a single unit and disassemble them outside of the truck. I've never see any pictures of how they put LUVs together, but it is a safe bet they put the engine and trans in bolted together. There are bolts you need to get at to take them apart that are in impossible locations when the two are in the truck.

Larp brings up a good point, easy one to forget when you're in a hurry. Another to remember is the speedo cable. There are also a couple of wire bundles hooked into the trans that you want to unhook, and a ground strap to the body. Since you are going to a 350 you don't have to worry much about the old motor, but remember it is worth more not broken. Might be able to help fund the 350 swap by getting something out of the old parts. Nobody likes to see any good LUV parts get mangled, they aren't getting any easier to find as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:18 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Hey guys, thanks for the info....your right i just undid the four bolts on rearend, and the mid section bolts and it slipped right off. Extremely simple! Everything else is unhooked and ready to come out...now, wheres the best place to hook the chain hoist to on the motor???? I actually have a front end loader tractor, so i can easily lift it out, but im not sure where is the best place to hook it. I don't want to break anything as i plan to salvage the motor....dune buggy.... :twisted: :wink:

Post subject: lifting motor and trans
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:20 am 
PITA Old Fart

I use front intake bolts and rear exhaust bolts. I have two nifty pieces of cable with flat ends welded on them with holes in them so that I can run them through the ends of two short piece of heavy duty chain. I attach these to two bolts each, I then connect the pieces of chain to the ends of an adjustable leveler- the kind with the long threaded piece that runs through it where you hook to it to lift. It makes tilting the damn thing a lot easier on you and the truck, next hook up my cherry picker and out she comes-no muss, no fuss. Hope this helps! Good Luck! Later :twisted:-TAZ