LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 pm 

So heres my first try at a build up thread on the internet, I hope it well help others. I have a 1980 4x4 Luv I thought needed power steering, so I took a power steering setup from a 86 trooper. The Luv and the trooper box have the same bolt pattern, the only problem was the troopers box had smaller bolt holes. So I had to drill three of the four holes bigger. The top bolt took a trooper sized bolt, so I left it alone.

Heres the two side by side. I dont think youll be able to see the hole difference.

To mount the steering wheel rod to the steering box, I took the old U joint from the trooper and modified it so that it would fit over the steering wheel rod. There was a shroud over the U joint I took off and this is what it looks like. As you can tell I cut the two flat spots on the U joint out.

Heres the box bolted to the frame with the u joint slid onto the box sitting next to the steering wheel rod, allowing me to measure and cut the rod. Now when I was getting ready to mark this, I positioned the steering wheel where I wanted it to be when everything was bolted up. Meaning I had the steering wheel pushed down on the steering column where its suppose to be. Once the steering wheel is lose, it well slide up and down around an inch, so you dont want it stuck out of the steering column then cut it, weld it and then find it doesnt fit correctly.

Heres the U joint cut and fit over the Luv steering rod after I had cut the rod to length. Make sure you remove the rubber inside the wheel well......I didnt :( . Its only melted a little low, but wow does that stuff burn! I found that if you take the cut piece of rod and use that to stretch out the the cut portions of the u joint it takes a lot of the fitting process out.

After I got it welded up and painted I bolted everything tight because this part was now finished.

I didnt get any pics of the smog pump removed but I figure that once you remove it, it will explain itself. When I removed the pump from the trooper I took everything that was connected to the powersteering. I used the original pump bracket and drilled a hole in the bottom to bolt it to the smog pump bracket. I then used the original smog pump belt tensioner for the power steering pump belt tensioner. I had to bend the arm a little to make it work for the pump, but it worked great.

So heres everything bolt up and hooked up. It fits pretty good, not a direct bolt in job but not bad either.

Next I had to mount the resovoir. This was pretty strait foward I just drilled two holes and bolted to the front of the engine compartment. Make sure you grab all the hoses when you pull your setup, you wont need them but they come in handy when making everything fit.

Its finished! 8) Everythings back together the way its supposed to be.

Me and McLuvin, I want some different tires and rims for it. The ones I have look dumb I think.

Not a bolt in job and there is some cutting and welding work. A person might be able to do it without cutting and welding, but I couldnt figure out how. The results are very nice. Makes it a little more manageable to navigate in tight areas. If you have any questions or better ideas I am not immune to criticism, so let me now. I hope you enjoyed it and was not to confused.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm 

I would like to add, this was not my idea. I used a trooper power steering set up in my samurai about 6 months ago and like it. I then found this website and found out from a previous poster that the trooper box well bolt in so I thought it would be fun to do a write up when I did it to my luv. Thats why I like these sites though, the sharing of ideas. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think this deserves "sticky" status. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i agree very straight forward and not hard to do good job :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Great job. I vote for a sticky too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

First off, very good pictures taken. I don't know how many times I've looked through a auto manual and coudn't see what was going on.
So I'm curious about the U joint. From a pervious power steering upgrade post here is what this Luv owner said about it:

Quote:
**The steering shaft on the Trooper is notched at the end and the notch slides into a U-joint unit. It is this U-joint unit that has the splines at the end which fit onto the steering gearbox. You MUST take this U-joint unit, the flexible coupling on your LUV will NOT mate up to the input shaft on the Trooper box. I had a guy at the yard cut it out with oxy-acetylene.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2325&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

So the Trooper U Joint has a notch and you just cut the notch out and then you welded it to your stock steering rod? In the other post, I don't think he had a welder. I'm just wondering if there are other options with the U joint.

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm 
Step-side Guru

you can get adaptors like this if you know the spline count on each or you can just get universal ones
here is one of the universal types

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm 

If you look at the U joint from where the trooper steering rod went into it, it would look like two U's laying on top of each other with the arch of the U facing away from each other. I know thats sounds confusing but thats the best discription I could think of. I then cut out the flat parts of the U's, so now they would look like mirrored C's. This well, with persuation, fit over the cut part of the Luvs steering rod.

I dont know how the other guy did his. I was wondering that as well. I guess he used the adapter? I didnt know about those adapters though, thats neat they make those. This makes this job alot more user friendly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Great thread.

Are the Pitman arms the same length????
I am yet to measure them.

I have got 2 of these conversions to do.

First is my '86 spacecab pup and second is the '80 Luv.
I have 95 pickup box, lines and pump and its all going on a 2.6L and into the 86 pup so all that is easy and straight bolt up.
Ive got 2x G200 series I Trooper setups for the Luv.

With the Pup, the only bit thats not straight forward is the steering shaft. I have pulled a Trooper steering shaft apart and the best i can work out it is constructed in the same way as the Pup. A non round (sort of deformed oval shaped) steel shaft that slides up inside another shaft. The two shafts are held together with a (soft) stake making it a colapsible shaft. The plan was to remove the stakes and pull both trooper and pup steering shafts apart. The trooper has a higher body and the steering column in them is longer than the Pup. Carefully measure the trooper lower and cut it so it is the same length as the Pup lower taking into consideration that the power steering box is a bit longer. That is so it will fully colapse if need be. Then slide the modified trooper lower into the pup upper and then re stake it at the right length.

I am not sure about the Luv steering shaft as i have not pulled a Luv steering column apart yet. I was really hoping it would be the same. Does any one know????

I would have no trouble with the Cut and shut as shown in the very clear and well explained pictures above. But if i got caught by authorities here in Australia with a modification like that i would be in a bit of trouble. If it can be done within the colapsible part of the column it is sight unseen and could then be passed off as a factory part. Same with the Steering box and pump install. As long as the pitman arm on the steering box is the same length as the idler arm on the passenger side i cant see a worry in the world.

I have been driving a power steered car of late. I am a bit spoilt, well not really, its automatic too and i hate that shit, give me a stick any day especially with a trailer in tow.
I hopped in the pup today to move it and ive got arms like a girl, maybe i need to put some air in the tyres, the wheel was so hard to steer. Power steering is number 1 on the list. I have to swap engines over, so when the motor is out, im putting the Power steer in. Will be easy with the engine out. I will take Pictures as has been done here.

Cheers, Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:50 am 
Australian LUV Guru

Nice thread Luvin It. Just thought i'd add a few other option's for those who dont have acess to a welder, or those who want a standard apperance.

Heres a pic of the Trooper shaft vs the Luv shaft, the splines are both the same.
To use the Trooper uni joint on the Luv shaft, the first section of spline needs to be removed.
(Troop shaft on top, Luv shaft on bottom)

These next two pics show the Troop uni on the Troop shaft top, then on the Luv shaft bottom.

Now the next issue with fitting the power box to a Luv, is the Luv shaft is to long.
This can be overcome by separating the two halves of the Luv shaft, cut off the required amount then slide the two halves back together.
This pic below shows the join in the Luv shaft.

Hope this all makes sense. Hit me up with any ?

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm 

Yeah, thats way cool. I didnt know the luv shafts seperated. I thought I looked pretty hard to see if they did too. Wish Id have known that before, it would have made it super straight forward.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Luvin It wrote:
Yeah, thats way cool. I didnt know the luv shafts seperated. I thought I looked pretty hard to see if they did too. Wish Id have known that before, it would have made it super straight forward.

Its a collapsible shaft, they should be 'staked' together with something like a small diameter plastic pin.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:06 pm 

was this conversion onto a 1.8? :?:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well i am doing my steering swap and so far it is a bolt in ,well sorta. I drilled the hole as posted before mounted the pump drilled out the holes in the box and mounted it then i used a U-joint off an early Toyota 4x4 and adapted(pretty much a bolt on)the Luv column side joint on then pulled the steering column and drove the shaft up(steering wheel up and bang on floor)to compress the shaft remounted the column and pulled the shaft into the clamp and bolted down.Tomorrow i will mount the reservoir and i also will get some pic's so others will know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I tried to buy an older trooper a few weeks ago for this purpose plus it had superwench hubs on it that I could have used. By the time I got off work and called him back on Friday he had already sold it. Good luck with it.

2005 Silverado 3/4T Crew Cab
1981 Luv 2WD
1979 Luv 4x4 Currently going through Open Heart and Cosmetic surgery
1995 Roughneck JetBoat
1981 Luv parts trk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sense these pic's i have added a small brace on the back of the pump to the mount bracket as the single bolt in the front will not stabilize the pump and it will bent forward making it loose and will eventually brake the front mounting plate.

I also used a late 87 Trooper steering box and the pitman arm in the pic is one i got at a wrecking yard and cleaned up of a earlier one.

Just for your info the overflow bottle is off the 87 Trooper as well.

What i did for the U joint was i unbolted the rag joint and bolted on the LUV rag joint. It will fit by taking out two of the spacer sleeves and presto a bolt on U-joint.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

That steering universal, that must be for the later trooper, the early ones have a spline to spline job.

Might have to go and have a look for one with the rubber disc.

Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The steering universal is off an early Toyota 4X4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I looked at a trooper and The power steering box seems to be on the wrong side of the engine is this going to be a problem its a 86-early 87 trooper II w/ round lights..?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Most excellent post. I agree these types of posts should be "stickies" or even have their own section, possibly "Detailed mod's with images". Don't know anything about running a site such as this though.
Also, like the name of your LUV! McLUVin :P

1980 Stepside LUV (Again)