LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:19 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Can I get a conformation that i can swap the chassis between the two...

I want to build a chassis but dont want to down my truck during the build up.

Thanks Peoples.

A.j.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:42 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

I think the cab mounting points may be different :|

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:39 pm 
da LUV masta

They are not the same. Don't waste your time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 am 
Addicted to LUV

There's a post somewhere where they took a toyota chasis and put the Luv body on it.
What type of ride do you plan on making with the 2nd chasis? Work turck, 4x4, low profile, V8 setup?

"When all else fails, follow the directions".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:36 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Zane wrote:
There's a post somewhere where they took a toyota chasis and put the Luv body on it.
What type of ride do you plan on making with the 2nd chasis? Work turck, 4x4, low profile, V8 setup?

Im looking to give the chassis the full race treatment, but i dont want to down the truck yet. If i could get a rolling chassis to start the build on then i could take my time and build it right until i was ready to swap the body. I just remember reading somewhere here that they were the same frame from 78-82. The reason is there is an 82 Pup with a blown motor & Trans thats mine for the trouble of dragging home.

Thanks everyone.

A.j.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Quote:
78 or 79 ? Minor changes to interior trim, round gauges instead of of egg shaped, and different texture on the gauge cluster and glove box door. Side vent design changed to match. Ducting was added from the blower to these vents and the wind driven foot vents were eliminated. The seat belts also changed in 78 or 79 to use a different latch. They are not compatible with older belt buckles. The button on the latch became square instead of round with this change.

1979 First official year of 4x4 model. This was the first 4x4 production vehicle (according to what I've read) with IFS. Nothing major changed other than the unknowns between 78 or 79 above. 4x4 models have a different torsion bar configuration to go along with the front axle. Changes were made to the frame mounts for the torsion bars and axle.

1980 Basically the same as 1979, I believe the 4x4 dash light was added (but that might be a Mikado option from 79). There is a minor change to the side marker lights, the mounting and lenses are slightly different. The voltage regulator connector is round as opposed to squarish, but I'm not sure what else changed along with that. 1980 4x4 models got a larger clutch disc (8.5") with flywheel and pressure plate changes to go with.

1981 2nd MAJOR rework of the LUV. Body style completely changed, interior completely changed. Gas tank now on passenger side of truck. Frame and motor are basically unchanged, with a few exceptions. Distributor is now electronic instead of points, but still fits into older motors. I believe this was the first year a diesel motor was an option.

1982-1986 Isuzu PUP continues pretty much the same as the 1981 LUV. GM switches to the S10 line, some of the 1st years of which have the same 1.8L Isuzu 4 cyl motor. The PUP doesn't really change too much up to about 85 or 86 when the 2.3L 4cyl gas motor is added. Even then the motor mounts appear to be in about the same places. 87 or so they switched to a fuel injection 2.3L and 2.6L, but still probably physically compatible. 87 was the first year in Troopers for 4x4 transfer case to be seperate from the transmission(?). Before the the tcase and transmission (including the 5Spd) should be physically compatible to 76 and newer LUV motors.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2083

This is the article that prompted me to ask if the frames were the same,

Thanks again,
A.j.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:08 am 
da LUV masta

Maybe I was hasty in my response. I'm swapping the components from an '82 to a '75 and there are significant differences. I thought the frame and body parts from the first generation ('72 to '80) were all interchangable therefore leading me to believe the '80 and '81 share the same differences that my '75 and '82 have.

I know the wheelbase was lengthened in '81 so I'm going to stick by my original answer but I'm open to others proving me wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Eric Q. wrote:
Maybe I was hasty in my response. I'm swapping the components from an '82 to a '75 and there are significant differences. I thought the frame and body parts from the first generation ('72 to '80) were all interchangable therefore leading me to believe the '80 and '81 share the same differences that my '75 and '82 have.

I know the wheelbase was lengthened in '81 so I'm going to stick by my original answer but I'm open to others proving me wrong.

Well Im willing to give it a shot, I figure all I have to do if it doesent fit is drag it to the junk yard. But if it does it will solve all of my problems. My cousin has the body off of his 79 so i will try his body on to confirm weither it fits or not.

Thanks everybody.

A.j.