LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coolant stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:16 pm 
My water Pump took a crap on me today- so i ordered one from carquest for $26.61 and will/should be in tomarrow- while i got the anti freeze drained im gonna replace all the coolant hoses- Most of em look like they are prebent so im gonna have to buy from a parts place and not use straight hose -?yes/no?. anybody know a place/parts dealer that sells em cheap, we got a million parts places here in town so i could go napa, carquest, advanced, parts plus...... thanx- this is my way of getting out of about an hour on the phone looking for the cheapest ones :D if u guys could let me know id really appriciate it

Brent- 78 mikado cherry red restored in '00/daily driver- she aint retired yet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

I don't know for sure, but Napa had almost all of the front suspension parts for my truck. Maybe they have the hoses too?

Post subject: heater hose
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:34 pm 
well - from all of the looking and not finding heater hose kits in the vast parts world comes the victor with a rather odd but totally simple answer.

I went to the napa store and asked if i could look throught their hose selection to try and find ones to match mine, i told the guy about all of the calls id been through and he said sure you can go back. as my father and i traversed the long caverns of heater hose we found the section that was 5/8 inch in diameter and started looking..... And we found. the hose pieces that we found had to be cut here and their to fit correctly but we managed.. below are the PN and what i had to do to make them work

where the hose comes and goes and the PN #1 from the top of the intake manifold to the heater control, napa 5/8 hose pn 11620, i had to shorten this one on both ends and it fit ok but i had to cut out a whole "S" section toward the firewall side of the hose and put a copper connector or what i did was put in a connector with a flush cap on it in and run straight hose all the way to the heater control. #2 from the heater control to the heater core, napa 5/8 inch hose pn 10951, i had to cut out about an inch section on both ends and it fit perfectly. #3 from underneath the intake to another hose (#4), napa 5/8 inch hose pn 10884. on the end that connected below the intake manifold i had to heat it up with a heat gun and i was able to shove it on. i put a new copper connector in the other end that connected to hose #4 and i had to trim this one as well- this is a huge hose that i cut in half and made the one end fit by bending it over the rocker arm cover. #4 this hose connects into the end of hose #3 and to the heater core, napa 5/8 inch hose pn 10799, this one had to be trimmed on both of the ends to fit but it wont fit in the stock position as you will find with all of these hoses except hose #2, however it gets the job done. last but not least is hose #5 this hose goes from under the intake manifold routes below the intake and comes out on the front of the engine block above the fan. napa 5/8 inch hose pn 10909 this hose was a bugger to fit i had to chop some of the end off on both ends- about 5 inches - rought guess- and about and inch or 2 on the front (where the curve is) i had to heat up both ends and jam them on to the metal fittings on the engine but it went and i had to use tie down straps to tie it to the engine mount and distributor to keep it off of the hot block and intake so it wont melt on me.

all of these hoses had to be trimmed and in some cases bent and heated to make them fit. Dishwasher soap or vaselene is a great lubricant to help shove the hose on to the fitting. especially on the fragile heater core. i used new hose clamps on every connection and new copper joining pieces in some cases. i had to use tie down straps in some cases to keep the hoses off the block and intake but im sure everything will work out in the long run - (i havent started it yet, im gettting new radiator hoses too, those i was able to find at both napa and carquest - carquest was cheaper) anyone with questions should give me a holler at chevy_luv_78@hotmail.com hope this helps all of u guys out there still running that old 4 banger :D it hopefully will work for me- and oh i hope u have some money about $100 bucks for all these hoses and clamps