LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:27 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Hi and thanks for the kinds words. Pretty much everyone has been happy with the intakes over the years with no complaints except for one person a couple years ago who was extremely critical of everything he bought, not just the Offy intake. I paid the shipping both for the return and to send another intake. The 2nd one he kept, but was still not 100% satisfied. I sold the 1st one he sent back to a guy in Australia and I had never heard any complaints from that guy. Anyway, every other Offy intake I have ever sold I had nothing but great feedback from who I heard from. Now for your questions:

No I don't actually have one of the intakes on any of my trucks yet, but I have kept two #6204 intakes from the first run I ordered almost 7 years ago and I kept one of the #6203 dual port intakes from that one run I was able to order dual port intakes. At some point down the road whenever the project trucks get worked on again, I plan on having the intakes installed. I have a few LUV trucks, so yes I plan on keeping the 3 intakes I have for my trucks, so don't even bother asking if I will sell those. :)

For your 2nd question, I guess you didn't notice all the posts after that from the first run? Don't pay any attention to all of that stuff, it was just initial jumping to conclusions about the intakes because of the number on the bottom. If I recall, I talked to Offy a couple days later and the way I remember him explaining it to me was that both the #6204 and #6203 intakes have identical bottom halves, so it doesn't really matter which ones the foundry ended up using to cast the intakes. I believe every run I have ever ordered had #6203 on the bottom. Offy told me that they could probably grind off the numbers to avoid any possible confusion, but they just don't bother. We know what we are getting, so no worries on that.

For your 3rd question, there was no remedy necessary, see above answer to your 2nd question. The accessory kit, which comprises of the 4 bolts, spacer, 2 gaskets, and T-fitting, Offy sends with all the intakes. Apparently in the past from what I remember someone mentioning, when Summit Racing used to carry the intakes, they would charge like $30 extra for the kit. I never did that and since Offy sent them with each intake, I always ship them out with each intake. The one run I ordered, I happened to luckily notice when I first checked one of the intakes before I shipped any out, that Offy had forgot to include in the kit the T shaped fitting. I called and explained that they weren't included, and they sent them right out to me.

Question 4, well I really never had a list that was anything necessary for LUV owners to obtain an intake. In the very beginning when I was deciding whether I wanted to go ahead with becoming the distributor, I wanted to gauge how much interest there would be in the intakes to help decide if I wanted to order them. I believe a run or 2 later I did actually hold off like I have been the last few months and I was keeping count of how many people wanted intakes. I think I waiting until I had 12-15 persons before I ordered. Well if I remember correctly I ended up only selling 6 or 7 when I finally did receive my order. I think it was the run that I had ordered the dual port intakes. So like I mentioned in previous posts, many people ask about an intake, but when it comes down to it, half don't end up buying one. I have probably only had half a dozen people ask about an intake in the last 8 months or so, so you can see why I am in no hurry to order more.

As for the smog ready question, well I thought I remember someone saying that it could be used with the intake, but I am not sure how strict your inspections are? I believe one person said that if it didn't look stock then they wouldn't pass it. I guess it all depends on where you take it and how old the truck is? I don't think I have sold very many to California residents, so that is probably why there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on it. Maybe someone who knows more about it will chime in? Most people get rid of the smog junk and many areas don't require an emissions test, or at least not on a truck that old. Here where I live, my county doesn't require an emissions test. Some counties in Pennsylvania do, but I don't think any of the LUV trucks would be required here since they are old enough. For my county I know on my newer vehicles if they came with the emissions junk, then it has to at least be there, but it doesn't have to work, unless you are in a county that requires emission testing and the vehicle isn't older than the cut off date. I believe I read here in the forums that in California it is 1975 and newer that require testing? I have read where some people, like you said you have thought about doing, put on the emissions stuff for the inspection, then take it off after.

Next question, I wouldn't say it was a case of the foundry not mastering the castings. From the way Offy explained it to me, the dual port are just trickier to cast and they have a higher loss rate. I guess that is just the way it goes. I believe Offy uses more than one foundry and the particular foundry that cast those dual port intakes just probably wouldn't want to do them again because of the higher loss rate. I believe that time I had ordered a dozen dual port and I only ended up with 7. I suppose if I told Offy I would order a few hundred dual port intakes, then the foundry would probably not mind doing it. For just a few though, it probably isn't worth the trouble for them. That is what I am guessing anyway. I will certainly ask Offy again, as I have every time I have placed an order since then, but I am not expecting to be able to order them again.

As for the spacer from a dual port, I don't see where that would make any difference at all except for a little piece of aluminum in the middle of the spacer. The dual port spacer has 2 holes in it, and the spacer for the #6204 is just one opening. The intakes are different, so I can't see that using a dual port spacer on a #6204 would make any difference.

Well thanks for the inquiry and I hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any others and I am sure I or someone here will be able to answer. I really can't say at this time what the future price may be. Every run I have ordered through the years, Offy has had an increase. I believe he always explained it as the cost of materials was rising. He always tells me he keeps the increase as low as he can, but that is how it goes everywhere for everything, you know how that goes! The last run the price was $260.00 plus Priority shipping and insurance through the US Postal Service. I have always used the Postal Service since they are generally the best price and shipping time for the price. That was running around $22 total then. I know there has been increases since I last shipped one here in the US, so I expect that price to be a little higher. If I was to guess based on past increases, to give you a rough idea, I would say probably around $300.00 - $310.00 range total with shipping and insurance, but I really won't know for sure until I place an order and receive the intakes.

I do plan on ordering more since there still seems to be some interest in the intakes, I have just been holding off some since demand has been lower. Also I have been busy and with the weather nice here, I have been doing other things and not really taken the time yet to talk to Offy and discuss everything and place an order. I guess I will have to get an order placed sometime soon. Lead time has generally been 6-8 weeks, but I really won't know for sure until I talk to Offy. Maybe at the time I place an order the foundry won't be backlogged and it may go quicker? It has generally been 6-8 weeks though from the time I place the order to the time they arrive. I will certainly post updates when I place an order and when I hear from Offy. I usually hear from him when they receive the order from the foundry and Offy generally has them a week or so to machine them and inspect them and get them ready to ship out. I usually hear from Offy again when they ship them out. Let me know if there are any other questions and I will post updates when I place an order.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 am 

any chance there might be offenhauser intakes in time for Christmas??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:47 am 

Not very likely. I still have not placed an order yet and the lead time is generally a couple months. I did talk to Offy though maybe about 5 or 6 weeks ago and he was supposed to check prices and things and get back to me, but I haven't heard from him yet and I really have been in no rush to order, so I haven't talked to him again yet. He did say the foundry was backlogged, like he usually tells me, so it probably would be the usual 6-8 weeks from the time I place an order. I did also ask again about the possibility of dual port intakes, and as I suspected, it isn't going to happen. Now that the weather is turning colder, I should have some more time to talk to him again and get things rolling. I am sure he probably forgot since my order is not a high priority and I believe I talked to him a few days before Labor Day, so he probably forgot about getting back to me. I am sure once I talk to him again he won't forget a second time and I will probably get an order rolling. Like I have discussed over the last few months, I have been in no hurry at all since interest has waned quite a bit the last couple years. You are the first person to even ask me about intakes now in over 2 months. I will post updates as I always have done when I get the order placed and a general time I would expect them. I wouldn't hold my breath though hoping I will have any before the end of the year. It certainly could be possible though, but it would all depend on me talking to him again and how quick the foundry would get to casting a run. Waiting for the foundry to cast the run is what is the biggest wait. Offy get the raw casting back from the foundry and they only have them about a week machining them and testing them before they ship them out to me. I will post updates when I have more info.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:57 pm 

Hello

I would be interested in a manifold this spring. Can I get added to the list, if there is a list? I would like a dual port manifold if possible, but the single ports would be fine. Still an upgrade over stock for sure.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 pm 

There is no list. I will post here when I get more in stock, as I have always done. There isn't even any orders in the works yet. I have yet to hear back from Offy, and I have been in no hurry to order more anyway. I doubt that I would even have any before the new year if I even was to put an order in right away. There won't be any dual port intakes. I was lucky to have been able to even get the few that I did a few years ago. All I will be getting will be the #6204-CW as I always have. I will post updates when I have an order in the works.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:54 pm 

Sounds good to me, I am in no rush. I think I will be able to afford a manifold this spring, after I get new tires. blah adulting sucks sometimes.

Anyways I appreciate you getting the manifolds. have a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm 

Any update here? Mokadeth, if you have lost interest in organizing this is there someone you could pass the baton to? I'm still very interested in one of these intakes.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:30 am 

No updates. I have not lost interest at all. It is more like everyone else lost interest, or there are very few people interested. You and one other person asked me just this week about intakes and it has been the first in over 6 months. I have never had this little interest in the intakes since I took on distributing them over 7 years ago. I did talk to Offy in the fall and I talked about ordering another run, but I also told him what I have been telling everyone the past year or so, I am not in any hurry because there is very very little interest anymore. I am sure the poor economy has a lot to do with it. Also the intakes have never been anything in that great of demand anyway. I am sure you can understand that I don't really want to order thousands of dollars worth of intakes when no one is buying them. I have not forgot about ordering more intakes and I do check this thread here on the forums almost every day. Being I have now had a couple people ask about intakes this week, maybe there is some renewed interest in them, so I will probably talk to Offy again soon and get another order in the works. Keep in mind, it is about a 2 month lead time from when I order to the time I have them in stock. My order probably gets in line behind any other orders that were ahead of me and then when the foundry casts them, the raw castings then go back to Offy for the machining, then they ship them out to me. I will post updates here as I always have and if anyone else is interested in an intake, let me know so I have an idea how much interest there still is for these. Thanks for the inquiry and let me know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm 

Thanks for the update. I don't mean to be a bother, just wanted to keep the dream alive. Whenever the time comes to put in an order I will be happy to be on the list!

Thanks, again!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm 

I forgot about this site... I just came back after a lot of beer and stuff...
BTW, the Aussies are really keyed about these vehicles. Particularly the I mark, which they call the Gemini down there. I have bought several performance parts from Australian providers. One in particular is a side draft Weber intake for the 1.8 and 1.9 engines.
You may want to check into the Aussies as possible providers for performance parts.
I have 2 Isuzu I marks, a coupe and a 4 door, as well as 2 LUVs. One has a 350 Chevy in it, the other a Buick 3.8.
I'll see if I can post some pix shortly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:17 pm 

Thought I'd show a little interest. I've got 2 builds going I'd like to find intakes for.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 pm 

Well 2 is a start, thanks for letting me know. I don't know if the other couple people are still interested or not? I have not placed an order yet, but I will if a few more people show interest. If anyone else is still interested in an intake, let me know so I can see how many people actually want one and decide if I want to place an order soon, or just keep holding off for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:43 pm 

You can add me to the list!!! That makes 3! haha

But seriously, if you can get an order, I'll purchase one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:14 pm 

how much do they run for? interested as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm 

Well there isn't really a list. I just am waiting on there to be some interest more than 2 or 3 people in 2 years. If I keep seeing interest I may order more sooner than later. It is hard to say what a current price would be, they have gone up in price every time I have ordered a run over the last 8 years. To give you an idea, the last run they were $260.00 plus Priority Mail shipping & insurance. That used to be around $22 or so, but rates have gone up over the last couple years and I am sure the intakes will as well. If I were to guess at a total, I wouldn't expect anything less than at least $300.00 with the shipping included, maybe more. I can't say for sure yet though and I won't know until I get them back in stock. Thanks for the inquiries, if I continue to see some interest I may order more soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:48 pm 

Hello Mokadeth!

New LUV owner here, and new to the forum! I just recently picked up a 1976 LUV with about 50k original miles (I hope the picture attached properly), and I'm very excited to be part of the LUV community!

The truck is a gem, and I luv it! I would definitely like to add more power, but nothing ridiculous, also I would like to keep the truck as stock as possible, so engine swaps and turbos are out of the question. It seems like an Offy intake + weber carb + header/exhuast is the best starting point from everything that I've read. If I can add 20-30 more hp I'd be super happy.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I would DEFINITELY be buying an intake from you when and if you do get them again. Thank you!

-Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:24 pm 

Welcome to the site Allen. Beautiful truck! I have a '76 identical to yours, same color and all stock, but not nearly as pretty. It is the oldest LUV that I personally have come across up here in the northeast, my others are all '79 and '80. I do plan on ordering more intakes when I get a chance to talk to Offy again, but I am not in any hurry since demand is very very low. I will post updates here when I order more.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:00 pm 

Howdy. +1 for interest in the intake. I'm on the fence about engine swap or just getting a little more juice from this one. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:41 pm 

+1. Still interested in an intake.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:44 pm 

Mokadeth I am interested in a manifold as well.

Thanks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next