LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Saw some mirrors today in the wrecking yard and thought of you. They were factory door mounted on a '90 Pup. I think they would bolt right on. DirectAuto says these are 88-93 Isuzu mirrors.

Here's some new one's http://www.directauto.coresense.com/product-exec/product_id/6223?gRgSfH

They are larger than they look, about the size of stock 4x4 mirrors only sideways. Anyone else tried these on their Luv?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

Still hopin' to get those you mentioned before.

Last edited by FullaLuv on Tue May 08, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Electronic ignition
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I got the electronic ignition in today. It works perfect. No more missing, no lurches, and better overall performance. I took it out for a drive on the freeway and took it up to 82 mph on a level stretch. It is smooth as a freshly-powdered baby's bottom. RumbleBee starts now without pressing the gas pedal at all which it used to not do before. I am really glad I ordered the dizzy that Nukeday put on the forum, and it was a good thing I did because all the problems were coming from the old dizzy.

Image Image
Ready to put in/Got the cap from NAPA

Image Image
Spades for the connections/Green is the positive; used the stock ground wire

All installed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:44 am 

Awesome. Was it way too easy or what? With that fresh engine you're set for another 100K... :D Expect to see an improvement in fuel economy, too.

Spent all day working on the '79. It's either a vacuum leak or burnt valve, but it runs like CRAP right now. I put my elec distributor in it to rule out any issues there...

I'll tag some more on my 'Serious Miss' post...

Congratulations on your new baby's bottom.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

After driving around now for a day or so, I would add my recommendation to anyone with a LUV, to convert to electronic ignition if there's a way you can. It is just awesome, and makes it run perfect. Man, I LUV IT!!

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Cool John.

How bout posting all part numbers and sources. Will certainly keep this upgrade in mind should I ever fry the Pertronix rig.

FIAA: Color Guard

Post subject: Mallory dist.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Remember back when you were posting about your Pertronix install, and you had a video? The one where your son said, "Start it up" or something like that? Well, the very next post after that was by Nukeday, who let us all know there was a dizzy on eBay. I got it. Nukeday also posted right there all the directions you need and the part numbers. I followed his recommendations, and it's running down the road... If you want it rest assured the part numbers are all there. I ordered the Bosch cap, but since it isn't going to be here until Saturday, I got another tip from Nukeday that NAPA had it, so I jumped the gun and went and got it. I ended up with the premium cap by Echlin #EP724. It's got brass contacts instead of aluminum, and costs $12.49. The dizzy from FruitRidge Automotive in NY was a remanufactured dizzy, so no worries about bad components, and it cost $120. The rotor was from PartsAmerica, and I went to my local Shucks and ordered it to bypass shipping, and it was $5. Anyway, it's running like perfect.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Ah yes, I'll go back and bookmark that 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:30 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Waiting Till friday and I'll have a luv with electronic ignition, foolproof stuff rocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

One problem is, sorry, I don't know if or when FruitRidge will offer another dizzy like the one I got. It's from a 1985 Isuzu I-Mark, and maybe you could get a new one, I don't know about that. You might try wrecking yards, or http://car-part.com/ for a used one. Can't guarantee it is going to be as good as this one I got, because it was rebuilt using better-than-original parts.

How is your Pertronix doing? It is susceptible to any existing flaws in the distributor you used, as you should already be aware of, but was it good? I had thought to get the Pertronix at first, whew, I'm glad I did not!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looked up that part number and found a couple here and there, think they were around $200... so lucky for me I have plenty left on the 30 month pertronix warranty :). For now it's running great, 'cept for the weirdness I had with the ignition a few days ago(a little rewiring solved it), it runs excellent, never misses a beat, starts first pop every time.

But, will probably move in the direction of the dizzy swap, if for no other reason than to satisfy my need to continualy tinker. But will come after bigger wheels, bucket seats, Delta cam, and header.

Speaking of the 85 Trooper(I still kick myself for this)... about 2 months before I bought my LUV, I was looking for a car for my son, this lady I work with told me she had an 85 Trooper in her backyard she wanted hauled off, could have it for free. It was missing the carb, and fuel tank, son decided that was more than he wanted to spend and more trouble than it seemed worth. So I passed, not realy having the time to work on one as it was smack in the middle of hunting season here. By the time I got the LUV and put 2 & 2 together(Isuzu/Isuzu), someone had already came and hauled the Trooper off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

Well isn't hindsight always 20/20? I'm glad the Pertronix is working for ya, and you'll be fine to keep it as long as it does. I think every engine and drive line component will work much better and last a lot longer when the timing is working properly. The smoothness makes a world of difference.

Thanks again to Nukeday for such complete help, as also Catman and Tazman for being the consummate LUV experts. Without this website, and your kind help, I would still be walking and riding the bus.

:smt024

Next on the list is a new water pump; teflon tape the oil pressure-sending unit, check the torque on my head bolts, check the valve clearance, and replace the top cover gasket. I'll be removing that second pulley for the air pump, and I also have some more tidying up to do with the EGR pipe, air injector tubes, and the bracket for the air pump. I still need a right-side mirror. When that's all done, I'll be ready to install wings and fly away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Here ya go, best way to avoid traffic

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Dang, sold out. Anybody got one they'll part with cheap? LOL

I got the teflon tape on the oil sensor fittings, and the new water pump in. I went to West Seattle to meet another member, and forgot to take my camera. I then went down to Federal Way to take some more parts from the parts truck. I got another window crank, and found a set of radiator hoses. I also got the other door hinges. I'll get more later, I hope.

Gonna go fishing tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I got two mirrors off a Bronco...

Image Image
The tool used to mount the rivnuts, one rivnut, and one screw/Two of the rivnuts installed

Image Image
Left side mirror/Right side mirror

Last edited by FullaLuv on Tue May 15, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:06 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

they look sweet, what kind of fastners are those. Looks like you riveted an anchor and screwed into it?? That may be just what i need for my mirrors. :P

Post subject: new mirrors
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Those look really good on the "Rumblebee"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:20 pm 

What is this thread setter thing? That is slick. Mirrors look great :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:36 am 
Addicted to LUV

That is a rivnut.

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:30 am 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz's got it right. Those are called rivnuts, short for rivet-nuts; also called blind nuts. You first drill a hole a certain size, then set the rivnut in and crimp it on the back side with the tool. The mirrors are awesome; I can almost check the lock on the back of the canopy with 'em!!! I can see everything!!! Oh, did I forget to mention that I got these for free? They came off a Ford Bronco that my neighbor Jeff doesn't want anymore, and so when I asked him if I could have the mirrors, he said, "Sure". (This conversation was on IM) So I went right out, and took 'em off. Jeff helped me mount 'em, so now I know about rivnuts, too! The best thing about these mirrors is definitely the view!!!! I will take some more photos later of how it looks from the drivers seat...

Image Image
The Bronco in the background, my green mailbox, and Jeff's forehead!/Jeff is marking the second hole for drilling 19/64ths

I am so glad to have a neighbor like Jeff!!! He's helped me at very crucial times along the way. We should all be so blessed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next