LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:02 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm up early again today. Reporting success with the STP® gas treatment and another bottle of HEET®. My power is back, and RumbleBee runs real sweet. I'm still thinking of doing the tank flush thing.

I got a new camshaft, and now I'm thinking I might be making a mistake to use it in RumbleBee. I says right on the box that a new camshaft needs new rockers to go with it, or the both could fail. I had talked to the machine shop and they told me otherwise. I have to be careful, I don't want to ruin a good thing. I will take the camshaft to the shop, and see what they say.

I got my 10mm hex key socket, and I'm going to re-torque the head this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It's best to use new cam followers but not really necessary. When you install the new cam be sure to use a good cam lube and plenty of it to break it in. Check you followers closely and ask your machine shop if they can grind or polish them if need be.Oh one word of caution do not use moly lube for your cam lube unless you have a few oil filters as moly will plug you oil filter immediately and permanently as the solids in it will NOT melt or break down. Thats why it is a good lube for high pressure applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm glad I didn't change anything with the dizzy when the truck wouldn't run too good that day. Now after two bottles of HEET® and one of STP® gas treatment, the engine is running smooth and quick. I re-torqued the head bolts today, replaced the top cover gasket, and four rubber seals. Tightened up the exhaust pipe to manifold flange. Went for another ride. Beautiful. Runs great, and now I have nothing to say.

Oh yeah. I went to the machine shop with my new cam yesterday. They said it would be very risky using a new cam with old lifters. The box says to use new lifters, and I asked the shop why. It's because the new lifters and the new cam break in together in the first 15-30 minutes of running. If they're mixed, the new abrasive surface can cause break-up of the older polished surface, which in turn will destroy the new surface as well. However, it is true that the machine shop can resurface the lifters and make them ready for a new cam. The price difference is: $22 each for brand new lifters, or $5 for resurfacing each lifter. They also gave me enough cam lube for installation. I'm going to think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well done on all counts. :? Oh by the way these motors don't have lifters they are cam followers. :oops: I just had to do that :silly:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Cam followers. Got it. I just might go ahead and have mine resurfaced and use the new camshaft. I think that might be a nice thing to do for my engine. Haven't decided yet.

I got my heater blower connected finally. Wasn't nothing; just the one black wire hadn't been done on the left side, since I did most of the work on the right side. Stupid, but things happen.

Connected the oil pressure gauge's light to the light switch. It's pretty bright, and I didn't get the dimming circuit, so I might change it. It's okay for now, but I think going down the freeway at night would make my face glow!!!

Have you noticed I haven't posted many photos lately? Life is slower and less exciting when I don't have a LUV to work on. Actually, I do have something to do: the right corner of the bed. That's body work, and a little new to me, but I should go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:55 pm 
PITA Old Fart

Quote:
Have you noticed I haven't posted many photos lately?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:48 pm 
Feel the Steel

tumwatertaz wrote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:03 am 
Addicted to LUV

Larry's in Denver but not to buy a house. He's at a national deaf bowling convention.

He's the friend of mine that helped me get the spare parts engine that Tazman gave me. I gave him $10 for gas that day. He'll be coming back here on Wednesday.

Jeff said I'd be good to leave the engine alone, and not tamper with the camshaft right now. If it's running good. And it is. I'm gonna go show Tazman how nice it is real soon. Maybe take another photo.

I'd like to meet Gs11x too. Nascar44 is in Massachusetts; he'll be coming back here the first week of June. Then I heard there's another member about five miles from me in Black Diamond named Chris. I heard he wants to meet, but that was through another member, Dbest. It's summertime!

Last edited by FullaLuv on Sun May 27, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:09 am 
Addicted to LUV

Fullaluv save your self some time and down time on your truck by getting another set of followers and have them done at your convenience and then do the cam swap when the mood strikes ya. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

If it aint broke.... don't fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:13 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have another set of followers off the engine Tazman so graciously gave me. I will think about having them prepped to break-in with the new camshaft. I think I would want to use the shafts they are on too. Something to think about. Wouldn't want the down time. :wink:

That's two votes for leaving it alone. Not counting mine. I haven't decided if I want to build another G180 or not.

Last edited by FullaLuv on Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

:smt023

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have changed several cams without changing the followers, never had a problem. Ctmandu has not had a problem as well, you are way to worried about nothing. Common cense and real world work is allot better then book smarts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:09 pm 
Step-side Guru

yep ...just checked mine to make sure there was no excessive wear and tear. they looked good so i used them and have not had a problem

Post subject: What book
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I never said I got it out of a book. I agree there is a chance that it could work to just drop it in, but I'd believe the word of an experienced machine shop operator way first. Garry from Pacific Auto Machine said the best chance of the two surfaces mating would be to have both surfaces ready for break-in, not just one. I already explained this a few posts back.

I would rather be safe than sorry. I'm not worrying about it either. I'm leaving it the way it is for now.

As for real world work, I grew up on a dairy farm and I know what work is.

Also as I stated before, I did the work on my LUV and nobody had to direct me. If I searched for it, I could probably find the advice written against having a polished surface go against a new surface. It's the same premise in having new rings installed--it's always advisable to have a cross-hatch hone in the cylinders against new rings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You are the expert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I do have a right to discriminate as to who I choose to believe and whose advice I take. Why would I want to believe some one who I sense is full of trouble when I can just walk away.

There are usually 100 ways to do a thing right, and just because someone does it a different way doesn't make a hill of beans. I would that we were all experts in treating each other with respect and dignity as our common thread is the Chevy LUV vehicle and it's nuances. Vulgarity, false accusations, and pettiness belong elsewhere, and I would like to see the perpetrators of such reprimanded.

Having said that, I'm just ready to log out so a good night to all.

Post subject: Progress!
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Had to report some progress. Hope you like the photos.

Image Image
Mileage--it's 108430, right?/The view from back further...

Image Image
The hinge I got from Georgia & BlackLuv80/Oh happy day!

Image Image
View from the driver's left-side mirror/View on the right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Dude chill out. I was just saying that many have done the cam swap without any problems and no one said they did have problems with out changing the followers. Just because the box said to change them it is not law. By the way, I was a automotive machinist when I was going to trade school in Arizona, so I know my way around a machine shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:39 pm 
PITA Old Fart

Quote:
Fullaluv said:

I'm gonna go show Tazman how nice it is real soon. Maybe take another photo.

:shocked!:

:smt093 @?#%$&!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next