LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

Yesterday I got new tires and a wheel alignment. I ordered the front shocks and the front brake pads and hardware, which will be here in a few days, so then there won't be much else to do but drive around. I might change the speakers in the doors since my neighbor Jeff told me awhile back they were going out, but since I don't have discriminating ears maybe I won't.

I would like to start removing the smog stuff any day now. Somebody said something about leaving something intact, and if you'll forgive my laziness, would anybody mind running that by me once more? The question is, how much is okay to take off?

My EGR pipe broke! I brazed the connector with a washer and a screw to plug it. It sounded horrible, but not now. I tried to smash shut the pipe, but it was too strong, so I just left it.

Post subject: To date
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

I've been making some improvements to the ride, new tires and shocks as well as front brake pads and greasing up the suspension fittings. Great ride, and I LUV driving!!! Well now I'm going to convert to electronic ignition, and that's already on the way. It will start coming in next week, and I'm supposed to photograph it. I went all the way through the four shocks and brake pads and grease fittings without taking a snapshot!!! Lousy photographer I am, huh? The reason was my hands were too dirty to think about a camera, and I completed the work before I ever thought about taking any photos. Sorry. Want me to do it again? No, not for a few years!!

I plan to plug the air injector ports by brazing them after I cut them off.

Yesterday I was at Schucks ordering the ignition rotor and a new water pump. I was out showing RumbleBee to the guys behind the counter when this man says to me, "I got two of those at my house, you can have 'em both if you want 'em." My mouth dropped open, and I told him of course, I would like to have a look/see. I got his info and I'm going to go have a look and see if there's anything there for me. Funny thing was, I'd already heard of the guy! That's all I got to say for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:47 am 
Addicted to LUV

8O WOW it shows that hard work has its rewards. Check them out get your parts then you can part thrm out and recover some of your cost for rumble bee please keep us informed.

Post subject: Couple of LUVs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 am 
Addicted to LUV

Yippee! I got some parts yesterday, and I'm going to get a lot more, I hope. Here's two LUVs sitting in a guys backyard, and he wants to junk 'em. Says I can have whatever I want, even the original mag wheels!! I just bought new tires, and here's a set of new tires for free! I might take an engine and an automatic transmission too! Yesterday I got an ashtray that was pretty messy but I managed to extract the red bulb and fitting and repair it, then installed it in my ashtray. Now it lights!! I got a rubber guard over the alternator positive terminal, the hot/cold valve, a nice PCV hose, and a tighter rear view mirror. Those are all installed. I'm gonna go back today or tomorrow. I might get a steering wheel, maybe an instrument panel, tail lights, heck, anything I can carry, and then anything I can't carry, he has an engine hoist, and so do I!!!!

My electronic ignition parts are on the way. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Post subject: Steering wheel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I changed the steering wheel today!! I got a nice one for free. Now my turn signals go off when I go around a corner, and I can see the oil pressure gauge better!!

Image Image
The driver's view/From the doorway, also note the new speaker

Can you see the red glow coming from within the ashtray?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:32 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Wow, I had no idea your rebuild was so fresh. What a great write up. I think you are going to be very pleased with the electronic ignition, let us know how it goes...

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the compliment. It's getting better and better, that's for sure. I will let you know how the electronic ignition handles. I owe you a big thank you too, Nukeday man, for the referral/link to the dizzy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:01 pm 

Your new wheel looks great. I like the huge size of the stock one, but the center cap is cheesy. Any chance the other parts truck you found has a good turn signal cancellation cam? Seems like a common failure item on these trucks...

Don't forget to snag both of the heater control valves.

Curious if you are considering a roller paint job? Your truck sure looks straight, it would pop with new yellow rustoleum :)

Last edited by nukeday on Tue May 01, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hey John, if you are going to pick these trucks apart remember the "parts you need to hang on to " thread. And try to get all that stuff.
If it were me, I would leave just a cab and frame there and take everything else.

BTW your steering wheel looks good. Thats a nice clean one in good shape. I have one of each. The Mikado one is more comfortable to drive with, but the standard one is easier to turn in tight places. It is bigger and has more leverage.

Post subject: Parts
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I went to get parts today, and golly did I get parts!! I didn't get the Mikado from these trucks, somebody else gave it to me. They wanted to keep my old one, and today I took off another one to replace the one I had, so now I have both!!!!

Don't worry Rondog, I agree with you. Nukeday, I thought spray paint was a better way...

This is going to be my new avatar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

I got a canopy yesterday, not a fancy one, but it fit okay. I found it was not far from me, and it's on the LUV now, I just haven't gotten a photo yet.

I got another load of parts yesterday. I even got an entire front wiring harness! I got a heater, instrument panel, automatic shifter console, cowl, speedometer cable, glove box, shelf, seat belts, all the marker lights, tail lights, rear wiring harness, window crank, door handle, window regulator, door lock, door hinges, tailgate, door trim, door sills, wiper arms, wiper motor, wiper arm spindles, and more. I will be getting the wheels later, and I will be photographing all these parts for posting in Classified.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well wouldn't you know, I got a canopy. The guy had it on craigslist, so I called him up to find he was just a few miles away. He only wanted $40, and I went over there expecting to take him to the bank to get the cash, but he said he didn't care about the money, and just wanted to get rid of it. We got it on the LUV, and it fit okay. I thanked him and went down the road. Today I got it all bolted down.

Image Image
I even got the key!!/Chevy LUV parking only!!!

I also got my new electronic ignition and remanufactured distributor today. The rotor came from PartsAmerica.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

With that shell on your truck, I recomend a right side mirror. In CA. I think it's a law, because your rear view is considered blocked.

BTW. Sweet deal for free. On my GMC, I ended up forklifting my shell into the dumpster. I couldn't even give it away on Craiglist. I tried.

Post subject: Right-side mirror
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:59 am 
Addicted to LUV

You're right, Rondog, that I need a mirror. I drove up to Sultan, WA 60 miles one way yesterday to visit my cousin and pick up a treadmill. Driving on the freeway was very risky and terrifying everytime I needed to move over to the right, and we couldn't see if anyone was there. I think it's a law here too. I need a right-side mirror, and I'm hoping to match the left side, but if I have to get a mirror, I have to have it regardless of how it looks. Anybody got one to part with? My right side mirror has been repaired, and is solid now. I got two from JCWhitney, but they don't fasten right. I plan to send them back. Anyone got one to match my driver's side view mirror?

I need to go take another look at those parts trucks!

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:58 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-76-Chevrolet-Luv-Right-Hand-Mirror-NOS_W0QQitemZ140113297652QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not exactly the correct year, but at least you'd know that it would fit.

Only a couple of hours left on the auction though....

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I'm gonna hold out for the right one, or get a large one. Just hope I don't have an accident first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:24 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-CHEVROLET-CHEVY-LUV-MIRRORS-MOUNTS-LEFT-RIGHT_W0QQitemZ250110895238QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33649QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That's what I'm talking about. Nuke, you should be Duke! LOL

It'd be nice if I can get those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I haven't tried it with the LUV mirrors, but some will work on either side, and the one in your truck pic looks like it should, so if your parts trucks have one that matches the one you already have, you could try it.

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:24 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I know the one I've been stripping doesn't have it, and he told me to wait on the other one, so I'm out of luck there. I hope no one wants the ones Nukeday told me about.

The dizzy cap is coming on Saturday. I got the tracking number today.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next