LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

VIN problems? I thought this inspection you speak of has been for smog and brakes and lights etc.
Do you have the title to this truck? Is there any chance it is stolen? I hate to think all this time and $ was to have the truck taken away from you. 8O

Post subject: Clearly stated...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

I thought I had clearly stated the situation surrounding this LUV. It was given to me. The person who gave it to me had it given to him. The person who gave it to him had it abandoned on property which they had purchased at a land auction. The vehicle has been declared junk, and I have to get it all changed. The inspector at the VIN station did not let me explain anything to him, as this is very irregular, and it just isn't supposed to happen this way. If I hadn't been poor, with good credit, wishing for a sweet ride, and a certified mechanic with 24-7 on my hands, and tools and a shop, then none of this would have happened. If the registered owner shows up and wants the vehicle back, then they have to pay me for the repairs either with or without going to court. That would be a payday for me, and I'd just find another ride, or fix the one I had before. It'd be nice to think I'd want to stay with a LUV.

Anyway, today I should have the tabs and registration!! There is NO smog test required on the vehicle because it is over 25 years old in Washington state. DBest should know that, living in Spokane. I apologize for him; he's a little ornery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

Well I hope it all works out for you. :wink:

Post subject: It's mine today!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I got it!! Yahoo!! I went to the inspection station, and it was checked out and good. I then went to pay the charges at the licensing office in my town, and they told me the title was going to be mine, and I don't have to do the three-year wait!!!!! I have the tabs on it now for 2008, and the vehicle is now registered to me. The title will come in the mail in about a month.

I am now a LUV owner, and that's it. :D

I runs real sweet. I need to fix the door. Yesterday the door handle stopped working! That shouldn't be a big deal. There's several things I need to do, but golly it feels different now!!! I own it!!!

I took a video on the way out to the inspection station. I ended up taking the wrong road too. I didn't care. It took me out to I-5 and past the spot where we had broken down last time. I have to look at the video myself to try to see if I can tell how I got on another highway! Haaaaaa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:14 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hey that eng. winds up tight up around 70 doesn't it? 8O I keep trying to go to 5th, but....

Loging trucks :D I don't see them very often down here in so cal.

Well john, it might have put you in debt, but you basically have a new truck that will last for a long time. And it was cheaper than buying a new one. Enjoy!

And you can stop the yahoo thing now. Your wife is going to worry that you've gone mad. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Man, it'll be quite awhile before I stop yahooin'!!! This little truck stole my heart quite a few months ago and isn't lettin' go anytime soon. So you liked the logging truck! I thought that was interesting, too. Here in Washington they do a lot of logging.

I hoped you could see the oil pressure gauge up around 55 psi. It isn't in the best place, as I can't see it too good when I'm driving. I might move it later. The oil is holding full, and clear!! I thank Pacific Auto Machine for their precision and quality work.

Image This is their business card!

Post subject: yahooooooo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Congratulations on being on the Luv team for real. I as well as all the others, (I'm sure) are very proud of you and your tenacity in the whole process.
I thought everybody knew that vehicles over 25 years old, didn't have to be smogged. I'm bad. Should have mentioned it.

Post subject: Re: Emissions?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

No Dan, you're worse. You made everybody think it was a smog thing!!!

dbest5012 wrote:
you have to have brought in by a tow truck. Where in the world does that come from. I've never had to tow a vehicle to an inspection center to get smogged. You should check into that. But then you don't want to piss off an inspector, do you?

We shook hands and parted ways. I asked him for a photo and Lisa snapped it. He was very nice today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:39 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Congrats John!!!!! :smt023 :smt038 :smt041 :smt038 :smt041 Image

I really glad to hear that you have both now OWN your newly revived Luv and passed inspection. Well done John 8) we're all proud of ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:56 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Saweet!

Post subject: Thanks guys.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

I fixed the door handle, which was just an adjustment by lowering the nuts on the rod. I put a new tube on the distributor-to-carb. There's still a couple more bolts to put in the bell housing, and some more little trim fasteners I need from the body shop. I need some rubber bumpers for the hood to stop rattling, and little dent filled on the front of the hood. I need to get my heater blower working again, and put the right defroster hose back on. I should give RumbleBee a fresh oil change today, but it sure seems like a waste with the oil so clean!!! Oh, I know it's going to be a good LUV!!!

My first big haul will be boards from Home Depot. I'm going to build some chairs.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:06 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hood rattle

Nice work!

After the repaint, I used some stuff similar to this http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... yCode=2101 on my hood, got it from Advanced Auto parts, measures 5/16"x3/4"x10'. Cut some small pieces off and installed them under the hood, the stuff is same thickness as the little stock rubber bumps. you can see one here just to the right of the nut

The material is also great for a little extra door seal, doesn't work as well at the full 3/4" width, but is easy to trim to fit after it is applied the the inside of the frame.

FIAA: Color Guard

Post subject: Seattle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

I got the rubber bumpers from Restoration Specialties, and they were okay. I also got some nylon fasteners for the chrome hood trim, but they were not right.

I changed the tranny fluid, which was very viscous, and added 30W. It made a huge difference in the way the shift worked! The gas mileage was improved, too!

I went to Seattle yesterday.

Post subject: Noise
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:31 am 
Addicted to LUV

I got a funny noise to investigate. I think it's a U-joint going out. It doesn't always make the sound. Seems like second gear and up. I haven't driven it enough since the noise started to figure out it's occurrence pattern. I got some bags of cement and a 3/4" sheet of plywood to haul today. Is it going to break?

We'll see...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:18 am 
Banishment Pending

Whilst your checking the u-joint might want to torq down the drive shaft bolts..the ones that connect the drive shaft flange to the rear axle....I had a similar noise going on when a few of mine broke and I had to drive a couple miles in 4wd :roll:

hehe had to come back and edit...my truck was making a very similar sound before the tranny went out...so you may want to have that looked into as well ...that and so you don't end up in my shoes...looking for another tranny :oops: Although this gives me the chance to upgrade to a 5-speed (which is what I'm looking for right now :twisted: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks for the heads up, Rezkid! I might not find loose u-joints, which could indicate the tranny, or the rear end. I'm going to look in a few minutes.

Post subject: Didn't find anything
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:17 am 
Addicted to LUV

I didn't find any loose u-joints. The truck seems fine.

Post subject: Monroe GasMatic® shocks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm gonna put some new shocks on the rear today. No big deal. Hi y'all.

They're yellow!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:34 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Driving the wheels off of it eh John?

Post subject: !,000 miles!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I've almost driven a thousand miles with my LUV since installing the engine. I will be getting a wheel alignment in the morning, and I installed those yellow Monroe® GasMatic shocks yesterday. I also changed the tranny fluid and the differential fluid. Then I read what MEPR said about the timing being better advanced at 12° BTDC, and I adjusted my timing which made the LUV start to run at a lot faster idle and take off like a ball of fire out a Roman candle. I can't believe the difference! It's really nice and the CD is blasting! The truck looks pretty good with all the lights working, and the floor pans strong and clean. Man, I'm ready to travel, ha!

At least I'll be bringing home the groceries!! Sorta miss having something to say, but that's life. E-mail me sometime.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next