LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

When I 1st fired mine up, I 1st unplugged the coil wire and cranked the starter. The oil light would not go off like it did on my other truck, so I had my wife crank it while I looked through the oil fill hole in the valve cover.
Oil was flowing like crazy, so I plugged in the coil and fired it up. :wink:

Post subject: Plan of action
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I know that removing the coil wire would give an opportunity to check things out before actually starting. I also was careful to put engine assembly lube on all the bearings and metal to metal moving parts. The thing is, I'm trusting the advice given me by the personnel at Pacific Auto Machine first and foremost. Ted told me I should use the pump before I ever start. I will ask him again and if he advises me to use the pump first even though I used the assembly lube, I will take the time to do it.

I just don't want this one to fail, so I'm taking every precaution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That is a nice photo job you did there Fullaluv as most people would not have a nice back ground (like me LOL)you did it really makes that paint sand out. If you want to get going on the start up you can pull the plugs(motor spins faster) and watch you/a mech. oil gauge and spin it over and you should have press. in about 15-20 seconds maybe 30 at the most put it back together and you or off to the break in period.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 pm 
Step-side Guru

also if you haven't already turn motor over by hand and make sure nothing binds .... if so you will catch it now, not when you start it and something breaks or bends just my 2 cents worth is all

Post subject: Valve adjustment
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Catman you know I have it real sweet here, and I am taking it easy. I walked out in the shop just a few minutes ago and did what you mentioned. First I put the two pulleys on the water pump, and then the clutch fan. Then I torqued down the rocker shaft brackets to 16 ft/lbs and adjusted the valve clearance. .006" intake and .010" exhaust. Then I set the timing chain tensioner! It's new. Then I checked the rotation. Perfect. The #1 spark plug wire will be in the front as per the markings on the cap, and I'm now ready to work on the oil pressure line and mount the gauge. I'm gonna take my time, cuz Tuesday I got a friend comin' over for lunch, and then we're going to get the primer pump equipment from the machine shop, and after that there's nothing to do but put the flywheel on and the clutch then set it in!

Oh, and start it up!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:01 am 
da LUV masta

I know you already know this but all the rod caps have to go back on the rod they came off of, and of course placed the right way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

You know, if you put a couple black stripes across the hood (wheel to wheel) then we can call the truck the "Bumble Bee" LUV...

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

LOL Stephen, I was thinking the "RumbleBee" actually!

As another member claimed before that the stamped numbers on the rods were the result of a rebuild in the past, I have to disagree. The rods have cylinder-corresponding numbers on both the rod and the cap, and the manual refers to it. It is therefore, impossible to put the wrong rod in a cylinder, unless you're working blindfolded. Rest assured Luvstruck, I keep both eyes open when I do any thing on my LUV.

The main caps have the location number cast onto them. They are also impossible to misplace. The only thing to remember is the numbers all go on the passenger-side of the engine.

Post subject: Woot!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:51 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Just to inform, today's the day I'm adding oil to the engine, and pressure priming the oil gallery!!

I put the smog stuff together, and added the oil pressure gauge in to the cab yesterday. I didn't do any painting to the air pump for two reasons. I couldn't get the pulley off, and I might get rid of it all later anyway. I've routed the oil tube through a new grommet in the firewall, and all I need to do now is connect it.

Image Image
Today's wallpaper!/The oil pressure sender with the "T" ready to accept the oil line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:15 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Fulla i think you should have your own show on the speed channel

Post subject: The Speed Channel
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That's a nice compliment! Thank you 79Rat.

I ran the gizmo that the machine shop had for me. I wasn't as easy as I thought, but it worked. The problem was that my air compressor which actually was loaned to me could only get up to 40 psi into the air tank, and I need more. It did work, but I needed more oil, and I only had a couple quarts. I was going to drain some out of the oil pan where last night I had ran three quarts in, but finally it started to drip from the rocker arms. So now I got the oil primer all ready to return to Pacific Auto Machine, and thanks to Garry, Ted, and Kathy there for all the good work! There's just a few final preparations, and I'm going to be ready to put the engine in. I'm going to grease all the joints on the steering linkage and the suspension. I'll hang the transmission bell housing with a heavy wire so I can back up and give myself room for the engine hoist.

I bought the engine hoist on sale at Harbor Freight for about $110. It's now $159. I checked out a lot of options, some of which were over $200 with $150 added to ship. I checked the rental shop here in town, and they wanted $45 a day, plus sales tax. I would then have to ask for help from friends to haul the hoist to and from the rental shop, which wasn't going to work. I took the alternative of buying the new hoist, and I'm glad I did. Now I can use it whenever I'm ready. It was the lowest cost alternative I could find.

I have succeeded at rebuilding another engine at this point. It would not have happened without the help I received so graciously from Tumwatertaz, and Ctmandu. I also got rides to places I needed to go from Larry, and from Hazel, both good friends of mine. I got several other timely rides from Gerald, a neighbor. I had some very expert help from Jeff, also a neighbor. Another friend, Mark, helped to bring the "new" block and other parts home. He also gave me a couple other rides for parts and stuff. My wife has helped me every step of the way.

The test of the engine will be very soon. Tomorrow I'm helping Hazel with her computer, so I don't know if I'll get it in the engine compartment tomorrow, or Thursday, but it should be soon. I know y'all want to see the video of the first time we hit the key!

Here I am adding oil through a hole with a squeeze bottle. Air pressure applied to the tank forces oil through the hose into the oil galley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:40 pm 

Im thinkin MTV2 pimp my luv 8)

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:46 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I agree. Some sort of documentary or something, It's been a lot of work and John and all those that have help him, and provided the engine(s),part etc. need a big thank you!

That is one beautiful engine. Who would have thought to paint their engine bright yellow? Maybe in the future, a bunch of chrome goodies would really make that engine shine!!! Sunglasses anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hey John where does the hose attach form the oil pressure tank? only place I can think of is through the oil filter attach point. Am I right?

#1 1980 Black 2wd, #2 1980 Blue 2wd, #3 1980 Black 4x4 #4 1980 black 2wd Long bed #5 1979 black 4x4 #6 1977 red 2WD
pics
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/gs11x/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:46 pm 
Step-side Guru

hes not the only yellow one out there
ImageImage

Post subject: Hose attach point
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

Gs11x, the hose attached at the port for the oil sensor. It was very easy. The connection was brass and fit right on. When the apparatus is removed, you must place your sensor immediately, because the oil starts to seep out due to the force of gravity. My oil galley is now full of oil, and when I start, it should not take more than ten seconds to show oil pressure. I plan to have Lisa hit the switch, and I will make it a point to have her watch for the needle to move on the oil pressure gauge and raise her hand. This will be recorded on video, and y'all can enjoy. I won't make a schedule for the moment, but it should be within the week!

That's a lot of breather blow on that powerplant, Catman! Are you working on that one right now? It looks like only two bolts attached to the engine stand. Tell me it ain't so. I got four on mine! It really happy to see my engine get a close relative!!! LOL

Last edited by FullaLuv on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:08 am 
Step-side Guru

no not mine ... it belongs to a guy down under and he was showing me the turbo set up he was using

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

ctman
are the turbo parts in the picture something that you can buy or are the custom fabrication?

#1 1980 Black 2wd, #2 1980 Blue 2wd, #3 1980 Black 4x4 #4 1980 black 2wd Long bed #5 1979 black 4x4 #6 1977 red 2WD
pics
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/gs11x/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:12 am 
Addicted to LUV

Ah, our friends down under. Well good on them. Perhaps my engine could meet his engine via video!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:15 am 
Step-side Guru

gs11x wrote:
ctman
are the turbo parts in the picture something that you can buy or are the custom fabrication?

all stuff you gan get off a turbo impulse which he took off and put on hids modified motor

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next