LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:58 pm 
Like to ask if someone uses propane (LPG) as a fuel for your Luv .
I am quite into this stuff and think it is a great fuel to drive on ( allmost all my cars run on them ). If not tell me your closest experiences . I am curious about the availebility at the pump and price comparison with petrol and other benefits.( Maybe some tax benefits in California ?)

just thinking : if someone has problems getting a v8 conversion for the Luv approved ( with emissions and all )would making it run on propane solve this problem in the US ? Did anyone think of this ? Propane is so clean with emissions you might be able to do a conversion even with a later year-model. Propane is really a wonderful fuel which is so much misunderstood and it doesn't necessarely give you less horsepower like many people believe .

I'll post some more on this topic if you folks are interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:17 pm 
Had a propane van and it sucks. the problem is you cant just GET propane when you want it. the store has to have extra help or they wont fill you up. and most propane pumps arent open late (with the extra help needed) and if youve ever run low on gas, you can just get it anywhere, but propane isnt alway close.

the mileage isnt much better either.

g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:51 pm 
that you just can't get it everywhere at any time is defenitely the biggest negative thing that can be said of lpg. And you can not carry a bit of spare propane in your avaredge petrol container ! But if you live close to a filling station , AND you can still drive on gas if you run out lpg so it isn't that much of a problem as many people think ( dual fuel capability )
Depends on where you live i think. Gasmileage is worse but often not worse moneywise if propane is cheaper. If you would build an engine whith higher compression than the normal petrol engine horsepower would be the same as petrol ( Its not what people think that lpg is a BAD fuel , it's just that it is not always used in the right way ) and fuel consumption would be better too .
Its also GREAT for your engine life , there is no bore-wash on startup as with petrol and much less oil dilution ( takes twice as long to turn black ).
When combined with turbocharging propane really gets into its own element . A friend of mine built a turbo on a STANDARD 180 horse 183 cub.inch 6 pot straight engine ( 9.4 compression ) running on lpg . it made 280 horsepower with just 0,55 bar man. pressure . At 0,8 bar short duration (started knocking sometimes ) it probably made over 325 horsepower.( NO intercooler , that is there was an intercooler but it was mounted In the engine bay next to the engine later to be converted with a waterjacket around . it probably heated the air more than it cooled it )Ignition was just a fixed one only vacuum advance .....worked fine.That was great fun to drive ! All from a standard engine ....
And the lpg fuel system set up was so simple : just sort of ahhhh put it on that was it !!! completely selfregulating ! We really think lpg is the best fuel for people on a tight budget eperimenting with turbos. lpg is also very forgiving , when mixture starts leaning it runs lean on ALL cylinders ( perfect fuel distribution compared to petrol ) and can be seen on your lambda oxygen-meter or felt.

I want to sort of do the same with a v8 engine in the future . Can you imagine a 50 percent increase in power with just 0,5 bar no intercooler , with a very simple setup that is going to be completely reliable and streetable with the right parts . I guess 300-400 horsepower can be done relatively cheap and 700 plus with the right parts .

Lets do some more turbo-talk here folks ive got loads of ideas but i'm tired typing now. TURBOS ARE THE BEST THING HORSEPOWER WISE PERIOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:00 pm 
no sorry lets better do that in the drivetrain / modification section . Stll would like to know more about your lpg prices and other possible benefits in the USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:42 pm 
I agree on the turbo thing, its $$$$$expensive, but man you can build em strong. Im fascinated with a 4.3 litre fuel injected twin turbo.

later

Last edited by 77ssluv on Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Propane may be a little more popular in europe, cause the only propane you can get where I live is in the little containers you use for grilling out.

Sounds like something Hank Hill (King of the Hill) would be into though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:20 pm 
Feel the Steel

Have you ever driven behind a propane vehicle??? Man, gave me the worst headache I have ever had!!!! 8O

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

i've heard of the propane cars but i never seen one. i don't see why people try to go with propane over gas?