LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: factory 4x4?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:16 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

the question has came up, did the luv come from the factory in 79 as 4x4 or was it converted by a factory in the us?

Post subject: I've got two
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:27 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

1979 4x4 LUVs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:34 pm 
i would think it was a factory 4x4 since the brochure says so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:02 pm 
Feel the Steel

79 was the first year that you could order a LUV with 4x4 from Chevrolet. Anyone before that is a conversion.

RIP R.J.B.

Last edited by TILTED on Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:31 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

but they did come FACTORY with 4x4, fella on pirate 4x4 tried to say they did not... and thats what I am trying to prove, that they did

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes... the 1979 LUV came with a factory 4x4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:02 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

thats what i thought.

guy said "4x4 CAR, mounted on a CAR FRAME, with 31s" talking of the luvette
I said " the car isnt on a CAR frame its on a chevy LUV 4x4 frame, i dont think thats a car. It is the same thing as the isuzu PUP, check out http://www.luvtruck.com"
then he says "OK, anything called a "LOVE" or a "PUPPY" is gay You have a CAR on a weak ass CAR frame. Watch that fawker fold in half when you put your imaginary 4.3 and 35s on there
There ain't a mud truck around that runs 31s on Chevy CAR axles behind a 35 HP engine (does it have a pull start???)."
Another guy said "Doesn't the LUV have a rotary engine too?"
then another said "No it had an Isuzu 4.
And a Luv never came from the factory as a 4x4, the conversion was done by some company in Indiana I think."
Then I said "No the LUV came factory in 79-82 or 83 with 4x4."

So I figured i would post here and be sure
Why people always raggin on others things?
DAMN ROCK CRAWLERS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Show me any CAR frame fully boxed with 6 crossmembers. That LUV frame is strong as hell.

Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:46 pm 
this space for rent

yeah my full sized trucks have half the frame my luv does litterally (not boxed and 4 cross members which are bolted not welded). The luv is much better built than my f-150 and my buddy who mud races chevys says its built better than k-5s from the looks of things.
the run down of the luv is obnociously overbuilt. the frame you know, it has 1/2 ton gm running gear whith third members front and back (isuzu 8bolt front and 10bolt back), the axle shafts ar forged 1.5" rods and the t-case is gear driven. Tell him that stuff and if he still gives ya crap just tell him to try to follow you off road. I can easilly out do jeeps on 35s and im just on 27.5s. Sorry about the rant, just cant stand people who rip on the luv! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:51 pm 
this space for rent

oh and by the way im perty shure 78 was the first year for the 4x4 luv. And another thing ill drum up the pics of my luv pulling an 82 1ton chevy on 38s out of the mud, show him those then see what he thinks of luv! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:10 am 
Hey all,

Be sure to ask those guys how many "car frames" can you bolt up a 500 horse motor to and not have to do ANY mods. And btw I'd like to hear from Anyone who has bent and/or broken a LUV frame.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:44 am 
I got 33s on my 80 luv and it would sling mud in there face!!!!!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

toto_dave: I have two LUVs with bent frames, but they are examples of how strong that frame is.

One of them I fell asleep and hit a bridge abutment head on at ~55MPH. It folded the frame a little just behind the front wheels, pushed things back maybe 2 inches. Just far enough to break the motor mounts. Try that in just about anything else.

The other truck I bought for parts. The prior owner had jumped over a set of train tracks and hit a telephone poll flying half sideways half upside down at about 8 feet off the ground. Imagine laying that pole diagonal across the windshield from the dash on the drivers side to the roof on the passenger side and that is how it hit. In that truck the frame was just tweaked an inch or so off diagonally. One rear tire had less wieght on it which made moving it around fun before I pulled the motor. Given the flight profile of 8ft the truck had to be going well over 80MPH to get that much height off a little train track hump.

Also, I think MEPR is right, 78 was the first factory 4x4 year, but they didn't get many made that year so official launch materials may say 1979. Just an FYI, the LUV was the first factory 4x4 with independant front suspension. Most of us have cursed it at one point at least, but for its time that IFS was pretty hi-tech shctuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:46 pm 
this space for rent

yup the luv was the first 4x4 whith ifs and the first 4x4 compact truck. And get this Primedia (the people who write the mags all off roaders read) voted the luv the 4x4 of the year in 78and 79. Oh and ifs is much better for jumping, ever see a solid axle race truck. The answer is no becouse ifs will give greater stability and control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:08 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

my frame is bent, but its from a 6,5 foot off the ground AND THAT SAME JUMP LANDED IT 30 FEET FROM THE RAMP. rough truck contest...... and the front it just twisted a lil tween the 2 front members.... i adjusted the brackets for the a arm and cranked the right t-bar a little more than the left, straightened the tire up, plan to put it on a frame rack someday though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:02 pm 
this space for rent

my luv was in one realy good wreck. Someone hit it when my dad was driving it full on in the driver fender (they ran a red and were drunk), the impact was at about 35mph. The only damage was a bent lower a-arm and a wheel. Pertty stout trucks, then there was the time it towed a 57 chevy from huston to spokane in 3days 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:49 am 
Hey guys, thanks for the stories on bent frames, but I think it just proves the point. bend but don't break. That one that jumped the train track probobly would have split another vehicle in half! I have abused my LUV on ocassion and people always say to me " you gonna break the frame"
Boxed end to end, 6 crossmembers " I can try" :twisted:

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:44 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

yalls trucks ahve 6 crossmembers? I only have 5........no wiat thats right, i'm missin the frame from right behidn the back shackles back, guy cut it off, so it didnt stick out past the chevette bumper. Thats ok though, that tube frame gives me a nice spot to shove custom brackets for my pipe bumper i'm building... that should be a nice finish off of the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:34 am 

My 78 4X4 is a conversion. I know "Chevy" made it in 79.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:07 pm 
does anyone know where i can get a 4x4 kit to convert my 78 luv it to 4x4 or if i have to buy the parts seperatly . please lt me know where to buy the parts and if some one has some extra parts ill by them off of em