LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:13 am 

My first big mistake was not waiting until I had the Shop Manual in hand to pull the head. Now I'm paying for that mistake and want to be careful so I don't make more.

I finally got around to putting real work in on a LUV I bought last year, the head was cracked so I started replacing it. I pulled off the old one, ziptied the camshaft sprocket to the timing chain, and thought I'd just be able to put the new head on in the same position and everything would be gravy.

I took the old head & one from a junkyard to a machinist and between the two they were able to assemble me an uncracked head, no bent valves, all cleaned up real nice. The shop returned it to me with the camshaft alignment marks all at high noon, just like the manual says to do it.

So instead of rotating the camshaft to match the sprocket on the timing chain, I thought I'd rotate the crankshaft to match the head. However, once I got that lined up I don't know how I can be sure the crankshaft/cylinders/distributor are all in the right location.

I want to take a step back and make sure I put this together right.
Do I need to pull the head back off and make sure the 4 cylinder is in the right position?
With the engine off & the cam timing sprocket aligned, should the crankshaft timing be at 0 TDC?
If I assume that I've goofed up real bad and absolutely nothing is aligned properly, what are the steps I can take to get everything back in the right position?
Not sure if these pics will help, but here are pics of the camshaft/timing sprocket alignment, the crankshaft timing, and the distributor.

Attachments:
dist.jpg
dist.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 5300 times ]
cam.jpg
cam.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 5300 times ]
crank.jpg
crank.jpg [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 5300 times ]