LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:06 pm 

The 1979 4x4 truck I bought had the AC removed & heater disconnected. I'm guessing the heater core was leaking or something, but I'd like to get it reconnected and find out myself.

I've got two hoses coming out of the firewall that aren't connected to anything, & no hoses connected to the heater control valve. I tried scouring pictures online, youtube videos, & the shop manual, but I just can't find out where all the hoses go.

It looks like one goes from the firewall to the control valve, and from what I've seen the other end of the control valve & the other firewall hose run back behind the engine. but where do they go after that? what do they connect to?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:21 pm 

Never mind! I found an old post with a pic: Image

Looks the drivers side hose goes to the bottom of the control valve, the control valve goes to the top of the intake manifold, and the other hose in the firewall attaches below the intake. Not sure you'll see this, 3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU, but your photo sure helped me out!

I also see now that it's my heater control valve that is busted, hopefully that's the only thing wrong and I can find a replacement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Someone said in a thread years ago that one off a 77 ramcharger can be made to work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:09 am 

I wonder if the style of valve changed over the years or if I just dont quite understand how the modification would work.

The valve on my 79 opens and closes by being pulled vertically while the ramcharger looks like it opens and closes when being pulled horizontally. I wonder if people who use the ramcharger valve just modify or remove the whole bracket.

Well, if my JB weld job doesn't do the trick I may try one from a Suzuki Samurai or FJ40 as they look like the operate more similarly to the plastic one I've got on there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you do that, let us know how it works. I bypassed my leaky valve a while ago, but I only drive mine a 100 miles a year or so. It doesn’t see much cold weather or rain.