LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:45 am 

Hello,

I'm Deniel. I've been interested in doing an ev conversion for some time. I also want to do a mild restoration on a truck. My reading suggested that a truck is the best platform for a conversion. The simpler the better, so I decided on a 70's Japanese truck. I have always had a Chevy or an Isuzu (Luv was made by Isuzu), so a Luv was my preference. I considered Datsuns and Ford Couriers too, but I found a nice sky blue 1979 Chevy Luv longbed (bonus) that has enough life in it and was a deal.

I have sourced a Warp9 motor locally, so I think my motor decision has been made for me. I drive short distances (I actually wasted a catalyst because I never drive far enough to heat them up.) in an urban area with most speeds 30 mph or less, but up to 45 mph. I think I could live with 35 mph, but 40 mph would be best. I'd like to keep it at 72v, but would go up to 120v if need be. I have one hill that is 3 neighborhood blocks long. It doesn't bother me on my bicycle, but it is a bit of a struggle for some.

I've inquired with someone about making an adapter and coupler, so I hope that works out OK. I'm really confused about controllers. It seems I should go with a Curtis 1231c. It has the voltage range, but I'm not sure what amperage would be good for my purposes. I think 500a is fairly big, but I see a lot of 1000a units. I think the 1000a units might be useful at 120v. I just don't know if that's necessary. I also think the higher amperage might work the batteries more. I think an Alltrax SR72500 is attractive, but it's limited to 72v and I don't see a lot of Alltraxs being used. Again, I think 72v will work. I just don't know. I'm hoping to poke around here some and find out. I'm sure I can find several good examples of similar trucks in the garage. Any pointers would be appreciated.