LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hello everybody, this is my introduction to the webpage. I recently bought a 79' LUV 4x4 model, and quickly fell in LUV (haha) with this truck. Its got 396,000 miles on the engine, and was draining oil after extended driving periods going faster than 60mph. I was driving some friends from Tucson to San Diego, and right outside Yuma the oil started becoming a problem. Later i looked at the back window to camper shell, and a thin sheen of oil was covering the window. We pulled over and it was bad, only half a quart was left. Added the oil i had left and bought some more, but after taking off we made it a few miles down the road, and a scraping noise quickly gave into a soft break an rattling. Pulled over and got a tow. Every mechanic i talked to in a shop is trying to talk it out of me, not interested in helping. Met a friend of a friend and parked it at his house, safe.
I have ordered a Chilton and we need to remove the engine. I have no experience doing engine work. Any tips appreciated. I am not giving this truck up. It still turns over, it is rattling something terrible. Should be a relatively easy fix. This is an ongoing project, and i am here for now in Yuma fundraising for this project.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm 

Anyone in Yuma, AZ experienced with '79 Chevy LUV 4x4 model? Im not much for mechanic work but we have to get this engine out and its alot for us right now. Im not experienced in this work and my friend is older. Is really simple in comparison i know that. We need to get this engine out and to the machine shop, but honestly is sounds like thats too much work we just have a broken bearing. I just ordered a chilton and about to have it towed from my friends house

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome. Sounds like it's rebuild time and hopefully the main parts are usable. If you can pull the engine out yourself, you can take to a place that rebuilds them, and put it back in yourself. Or just keep looking at shops that will do it for you. Google and phone calls is what it will take. Good luck. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm 

Welcome. I would agree with the previous post, Its time to rebuild the motor. Bearings will not be enough to keep the truck running that much longer and just trying to replace them may lead to a catastrophic failure. I have found out the hard way that some stronger parts in a motor just cause the weaker parts to brake faster. So its best to pull out the motor and rebuild it or have it rebuilt. Parts for this motor have to be ordered and could take some time, so it is not something you want to rush or can rush. Also if you have no experience in doing this you will need to take your time but theirs to many places to make mistakes if this is your primary vehicle its best to get an experience mechanic. Sorry not what you want to here but this may save you time and money in the long run.