LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 am 

Ok, I’ve never had a four wheel drive before.
Do you have to have the front wheel hubs locked to drive it in 4low or 4high? What happens if they are not?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

You can run the truck in 4WD without the front locked. But, you gain nothing you are still just a 2WD with the front drive line turning not pulling. (2WD) Lets say the truck is not stuck and you are pulling something heavy for a very, I REPEAT VERY short distance you can put it in low range, unlocked front and use the truck as a puller with the low gearing. (4WD) is where you have the truck in low or high range 4WD and the front is locked in. Then you will be able to pull through snow, mud, or assist in pulling someone out of a sticky situation! Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:25 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

As Widetrack said - you need to have the hubs locked AND the transfer case in 4WD (low or high range) for the front wheels to be powered.

The reasoning behind the hubs and shifter is to disconnect all the moving components in the front drive axle to reduce wear and tear and to reduce friction load on the engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 pm 

Ok. Now what happens if you have the hubs locked but your in 2H? Also can you just lock one hub and leave one free?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to know all possibilities because I don’t want to make any mistakes that damage components. I also need to pass the info on to my 17yo grandson.

Thanks in advance

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Bluesman wrote:
Ok. Now what happens if you have the hubs locked but your in 2H? Also can you just lock one hub and leave one free?

Sorry for the questions. I just want to know all possibilities because I don’t want to make any mistakes that damage components. I also need to pass the info on to my 17yo grandson.

Thanks in advance

John

John, when you have the front locked you are turning all of the front 4WD components whether you are in 2WD or 4WD. Most 4WD owners do not lock the front in until needed ONLY! Most older 4WD trucks had positive locked front ends and the owners would add Warn locking hubs so as not to be running the front components all the time. Locking one hub will get confusing if stuck and get out to lock it in. Lets say one is locked and one not, can you remember which one is locked and which isn't? And it will not pull as if it was in 4WD the truck would act as if it was a 2WD!