LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1975 Chevrolet LUV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am 

I posted a while back while trying to sort out the vacuum lines on my little '75 but I thought I would start this new subject now that the truck is on the road reliably with some observations on the off chance they may help any newbies like me fixing up a stock LUV.

After lots of trial and error here is some of what worked for me.

1.) Get a Weber 32/36 carburetor to replace the stock Hitachi. Per the local guru at Carolina Carburetors with 50+ years experience, the Hitachi is a bad design and it is hard to find the solenoid and other bits that attach to it. Ditch the Hitachi.

2.) Replace the points and condenser set up with Pertronix #1741. The change in the way the truck runs is not exactly miraculous, but not having to constantly adjust for the wearing away of the points makes it easier to keep everything else timed correctly and in tune.

3.) Install a fuel pressure regulator. This one surprised me. I didn't think it would be needed with the return fuel line back to the tank installed on the outlet side of the Weber carb. I used a Mr Gasket in line regulator (set to "1") that I am keeping a close eye on because there are some internet reports of these failing. I installed itg with thread tape and did not crank down on the brass hose fittings so fingers crossed. This made a huge difference and allows my little gal to run right up to 5000 rpm with no dips, which it was no where near doing before.

4.) Don't be afraid to jump in and do stuff yourself. I worked in a garage when I was a kid but I remember things from that time only when I don't need to. But these trucks are so simple, you can always rig something up to get things to work. My throttle is hooked up with a cable repair kit for a motorcycle. The floorboards have a very unprofessional bondo application that sealed up the rust holes after sort of grinding off some of the worst of the rust. The carpet was not "custom fit from the factory" for my truck as advertised but it's not bad. If you can learn to use a timing light and you have some basic tools you can get a LUV running pretty good, and hopefully if you have a 12 year old son like I do you can get him to understand the value of knowing stuff we all used to have to know.

Pic included, I think.

Attachments:
20180822_150026.jpg
20180822_150026.jpg [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 9513 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1975 Chevrolet LUV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:55 pm 

I see your post a few years old but...just got new Weber 32/36.
I noticed you mentioned hooking up a return line to the outlet side. Do you have a pic of this? Or can you describe where the outlet side is on the weber?

On related note, lots of opinions here whether the return line (and the vapor tank line) are necessary. Have you noticed a difference in truck performance? Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1975 Chevrolet LUV
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:26 pm 

jefe wrote:
I see your post a few years old but...just got new Weber 32/36.
I noticed you mentioned hooking up a return line to the outlet side. Do you have a pic of this? Or can you describe where the outlet side is on the weber?

On related note, lots of opinions here whether the return line (and the vapor tank line) are necessary. Have you noticed a difference in truck performance? Thanks

I'm dealing with the same issue right now. Did you ever learn anything about this?