LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New LUV Owner - Michigan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:03 am 

I stumbled upon this site yesterday after making somewhat of an impulse buy, a 1979 LUV Mikado long bed, 3 speed auto! http://www.biddergy.com/Listing/Details/88651120

I actually bid on this truck sight unseen and ended up winning the auction for $596! Truck was from Indiana and obviously has some rust, but appears to have been maintained by the previous owner evidenced by a new Jasper engine installed at 89k (according to sticker under the dash), and appears to have had a recent tuneup and new rubber hoses in engine. All fluids were at appropriate levels and looked go, and the AC still blows cold! Truck appears to have been sitting for some time as the brakes intermittently stick, and the exterior/interior showed signs of not being driven. Odometer shows 55k, so I'm assuming it has 155k on it.

Overall I'm impressed with this little truck! It's no speed demon, but I drove a Mercedes 240D for 5 years so I'm used to having people honk at me when merging onto the highway. I have no plans for a complete restoration, but hope to keep this as a reliable little work truck. I work in architectural salvage/antiques so it will primarily be used to haul building materials locally.

As a new owner, I'm basically looking for some advice on trouble spots and preventative maintenance I should take care of soon. The most pressing issues I need to address are the brakes, and have the rear bumper bracket welded (currently held in place by strap on the passenger side. I'm also planning on changing all the fluids as I don't know when it was previously done. Any recommendations on what to check right away? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
truck.jpg
truck.jpg [ 45.63 KiB | Viewed 3540 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

WELCOME! Nice find for a great price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

As for parts like the brakes and stuff - rockauto.com is your friend. Most parts are available at Oreilley and Napa, but sometimes have to be shipped in from the warehouse as they're not always kept in the store.

With your brakes sticking, I would have to say that it's because of the calipers needing replaced. Overall in the grand scheme of things, not too expensive if you do it yourself. Expect to get RAPED if you take it somewhere to have done for you.

You say you come from the world of a Merc 240D, which tells me you might not be familiar with breaker point ignitions. If that is correct (nothing to be ashamed of), best get quite comfortable with a set of feeler gauges and a dwell meter. Either that or get on Amazon and order yourself a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion - around $100.

Other than that, it's just a 40 year old truck. It's gonna have a personality to it - and sometimes that personality is of a spoiled teenage Valley Girl. Others, it's of a Marine drill sergeant. And it will never let you know which attitude it's throwing at you. That's half the fun of owning a vehicle like this. At least you don't have to deal with vintage British electronics...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:49 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

:signwelcome

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned