LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shock recommendations
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:46 pm 

What's up ya'll! Picked up a 78 LUV a few months ago. I just lowered it on 4" blocks in the back and adjusted torsion bars in the front. My shocks look OG what do you guys recommend after lowering it. I was thinking of some air shocks for the rear and something nice up front just not sure which ones. TIA!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I remember my last Luv (1990-1995) which was a 79 4x4. When I took the original shocks off and put Monroe Gas Magnums all the way around on, it was a different truck. Didn't ride like an empty dump truck anymore, didn't corner like it was trying to kill me, didn't sound like every pebble I drove over was trying to rattle the body off the frame.

A couple years later I got a hell of a deal on a set of Rancho RS5000's, just like I had on an old 74 CJ-5 prior to the Luv, and they worked great there. But on the Luv, I think it was too light for them. Harsh ride with little to no give unless I had several hundred pounds in the bed.

Now, with yours being lowered, I'm not sure how either of them will work. Air shocks in the back are gonna make it ride like shit. Even fully empty of air they're going to have way too harsh valving for your little truck. I would look more into Fox separates or similar. Might have to go custom or figure out what other vehicle would have the same bolt pattern, weight and shock length to get a good match. I don't think anything designed for a stock Luv is going to be any good.

I'm going to be experimenting with a few myself here soon as my little truck will be hitting the road and most definitely needs new shocks. And I'm going to be dropping at least 2" of height off mine.

Speaking of which - what did you use for lowering blocks? As I say, I want to do at least 2" on mine and want to do it right, not some freak show from the ricer Civic crowd deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

Thanks for the info Mikey D. I used 4” lowering blocks off amazon. I think they were for an S10 but they worked for mine. Sorry for lagging man I had not went back on here until now. I also just changed settings to get notifications when somebody responds. I was thinking the same thing finding shocks for a different vehicle that will work for mine. I may still try some air shocks and see how it feels.