LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Off on the wrong foot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:27 am 

Hello, I just bought a 79 4x4 and it was delivered today. It didn't even make it 10 mile before braking down :( . It started making a bad noise and jerking then came to a stop. I think the motor is no good :?
I now have to decide whether to rebuild the 1.8 or build a 2.6. If its all the same to bolt up and the 2.6 has more HP then this is easy to answer? I did find a 88 Trooper at the pic&pull a couple of days ago.

Should I just buy a long block 2.6, get a carb and pull what parts i need off the pic&pull Trooper?..... it cant be that easy?
Or just buy a rebuild kit for the 1.8?

Thanks Neal
Gardnerville Nv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:41 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Ls swap.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:51 pm 

Yes a LS would be nice swop but its not what my pocket book will allow. I dont think anyone has done a LS 4X4?

My second step with my Luv was no better than the first....I started the truck, it made a hard clunk, I turned it off walk away and when I came back BAM! it dumped all its oil on the driveway :esurprised Boy was it a big job to clean up :x

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:08 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I would talk to Novak Adapters and see if they can come up with an adapter plate to put a Toyota 22R in front of your transmission. I talked to them about a plate for a 4.3L Vortec, but decided to go back stock and never got a quote from them.

They seemed excited about the challenge, maybe they would the same for you. A 22R would push almost double the horsepower of our stock engines and not be much of an increase in weight. Plus parts are available everywhere. Grab one out of a Hilux generation so you don't have to deal with EFI.

Obviously if your engine made an unhealthy clunk and dropped all its oil out, you're most likely looking at a destroyed block. In the Jeep community we have a saying - "Don't just replace, upgrade".