LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Auxiliary Tank
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:39 am 

Hey all, did a search but couldn't find the right stuff offhand, so figured I'd just ask a dumb question.

I've just acquired a '78 that has done its share of sitting. I gotta go through all the electrical connections, charging and ignition system to get this thing tuned I know, but right now I'm wondering what all I need to plug off and bypass to use a 6 gallon boat tank for awhile.

I didn't have a hauler at the time so I drove the truck myself, and it did great most of the way once I got it moving (had to jump it off a few times, grind the frozen caliper's pads down so it'd roll, trade the owner a shotgun and he was even nice enough to put us on his local prayer list). I adjusted timing and idle a bit, but they kept moving around it seemed. I started to feel it was a combination of poor ignition, charging, fuel pump power, and dirty fuel. So I got it parked in my grandmother's driveway about 45 minutes away. I need to properly clean and coat the tank, but I'd like to avoid all that until I can get it home. I saw there's a buttload of recalls so that makes me nervous, but it seems like an easy vehicle to work on, and drove/shifted nicely all things aside. The throttle was insanely stiff and once it started dying I had to stomp it over and over to keep chugging through town. My right leg is thicker than the left now. I know a Weber would be a great improvement but for now I'll try to clean everything up and rebuild it.

Anyway I'm rambling on basics. I should already know but is the pump in the tank? It's electric right? I've got a wooden bed and a tank laying around so I'm hoping I can just strap it in and replace rubber lines, block off the stock tank for awhile, and route the auxiliary tank in place. If there's anything I should know about the pump or a regulator, now's the time. Trying to get down there this weekend and drive it home.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Auxiliary Tank
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Possibly too late to help you at this point, but the pump is external to the tank. It's bolted to the frame rail.

Which is a good thing for your idea of the remote tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:11 am 

Mickey_D wrote:
Possibly too late to help you at this point, but the pump is external to the tank. It's bolted to the frame rail.

Which is a good thing for your idea of the remote tank.

Hey sorry, ain't been here since last year ;)

You're right, that is a good thing. And after some looking it seems there's an electric pump for this year? Does that mean the mech one isn't there or what?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Electric pump only.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

Awesome. I figure a spare tank and alt belt should drive it home then. Could definitely stand to get the blower motor working again or wait until it gets into double digit temps again.

Anyhow, thanks for the confirmation. Once it's worth lookin' at I'll try to put some photos up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 am 

One more thing though, what size rubber lines to I need to replace the important stuff? I know I'll have to hope it fits my tank but I could still use the sizes and maybe approximate lengths. Would save me some time.