LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:24 pm 

So I just got a 79 Chevy luv when I start it and drive it runs great but after it warms up it starts sputtering. Not sure on where to start. Any help would be much appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:29 am 

Great Question!
I have the same problem with my 1979 LUV 4x4 with 98,000 miles. Manual gearbox.
Truck runs great, with perfect idle, after a COLD start. But when turning off the engine, say, while visiting a store, and then warm starting the engine, it start acting up as you are describing - sputtering, and will not idle - as if one would turn off the ignition key. It will however start-up again but with the same poor running problem. If you leave the truck sitting overnight (or after engine cooled off), it will start and run perfectly again until you do another warm start.
I have replaced: the complete Distributor unit, sparkplugs and its wire harness, ignition coil; checked all vacuum hoses, choke remaining fully open after warm-up, checked that fuel level in the carb bowl slightly above the marker dot on the glass, checked valve adjustment. Have NOT replaced the ballast resistor but it measures around 1,3 Ohm. Identical resistor (enclosed in a metal box) hard to find.
I had the stock DCH-340 carburetor checked by a 'carburetor repair guy' and he could not see any obvious problem with it! (but we did not remove the Carb from the engine however).

Could a sticking EGR valve cause this problem?? I have, however, disconnected all the hoses controlling the EGR valve, but with No improvement!
Could an electric (maybe intermittent) fault cause the engine to misfire after warm start-up? If so, why is then the engine running perfectly OK after a cold start!!

I "think" I have noticed that the ballast resistor is not as warm (hot) to the touch when the engine is running normal versus when it is acting up.

Anyone with some Good suggestions?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:12 am 

Have you checked if you possibly have a vacuum leak between the carb and mounting plates?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:34 pm 

Mine did not idle well at first but try changing the idle stop solenoid. The spring inside of the solenoid wears out and doesnt work as well. It fixed my truck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:23 pm 

Anyone having further comments or ideas to my earlier post dated September 19, 2019?

I have sprayed Gumout Starting Fluid/Gas around the exterior of the carburetor, as well as the base of the carburetor, while engine running, but did not notice any RPM changes...

I am planning to replace the Ignition Coil Ballast Resistor to see if that helps.
Also planning to bypass or replace the Ignition keyed Switch on the dashboard in case this is the culprit.

Cheers.