LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: so impressed !!!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 am 

Joined this forum hoping to find some decent people that shared my interest in preserving and restoring Classic cars (and trucks) . I am however a little let down by the fact that I've put up two Serious post thus far, only to find no replies... Thanks for showing a Chevy Brother some LUV. You have given me the extra push I needed to tell Mustang owners that they're All assholoes !!!

Post subject: Re: so impressed !!!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:48 am 
da LUV masta

:popcorn:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:35 am 
Addicted to LUV

I responded to your first post 4 days ago...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29978&p=217924#p217924

You had several replies to your second post.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Your first post was a bit vague. You asked about tips to making a LUV a V8 beast. What do you want from us? I have a pro street LUV, another member has a stock frame V8 truck winning at his local track weekly, we have another member who has been in the low 9's (possibly high 8's, don't remember). Many daily driven V8 LUVS here. What do you want, a tub'ed truck, stock frame, ladder bars, 4 link, a 9 inch on springs, cal tracs, what is s your budget, what do you want to do with it? I act keep going, it's hard to read minds. Also note that this forum has been her for over a decade, we have seen dozens come her all excited on a V8 build, talking about how fast it's going to be only to end up parting the truck out in a month.

I wouldn't poke the bear around here. There was s a wealth of info on all types of V8 LUVs here from the guys that built them and drive them. I have seen many open up about exactly what they have done during the build. If you come back and ask a bit nicer and with some specific questions you will get answers, I can't say they will be within a hour as most of us work and have families but you will get what you need.

Do a search on Hotrod80, his thread has great info that may help you with a build or just some info.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:01 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Vague, non-specific questions didn't result in a geyser of useful information? Say it aint so!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

"Search" was down that day. ;)

Jack

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:41 pm 

Not sure why I couldn't view my replies earlier...it showed I had some but, couldn't view em... Thought I was talkin to a wall...lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:49 pm 

I have a nice mean small block (625 HP), single carb. curios on what type of headers fit, do I have to cut my firewall for my HEI, where to get the proper motor mounts, do I need to cut a rear housing to fit the frame,....what kind of project am I getting myself into ? All the videos I found don't give any Real tips or help on "how to", just a bunch of finished videos.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hooker sells a mount kit and headers, ACE also sells a mount and header set up. As far as HEI fitting with out cutting the firewall, depends on the mount set up. I run Hooker Headers, mounts I made and a MSD distributor with a stock firewall and a stock core support. The only rear end I know that I know of that is a bolt in is the S10, don't know how well that 10 bolt will hold up to your engine.

There is a info section on this site on the main page with info on a small block install. Between that article and Hotrod80's build thread you should have a better understanding.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My latest project had the ace mounts and headers and an HEI distributor in it when I got it, firewall in stock position. At that power level I recommend a 9 inch rear. I got mine from Quick Performance made to my specs. (Mine is a stepside, 8 inch wheels and the 8.8 short axle mod rear didn't coexist).

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:07 pm 

nice. Thanks for ur responses. I know its a project that will require some time and planning if I want it done right. Cant wait to start though, I had the engine in a one ton, single cab 76 dually and it damn near scared me ! I'm extra stoked on the fact that this thing has a manual trans in it now. Automatics are fine but, theres something special about a working cluch pedal .

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 pm 

The thing that scares me is this engine. Shes not ur typical 350...NOW, before I get beat up cause shes actually probably mild to some of u...this damn thing was built for circle track, 9400 RPMs all night. 30 bore, custom bottom and top end ( I want to do a build sheet on it) but... 625+hp, 9.83 @143 in the 1/4,in a vega, Had to have a 4500 stall in the Monte to keep it straight. 373 posi. I need some ideas and advice on tranny and rear end gears. Viper 6 speed, Cobra rearend...??? T5, 12 bolt 323 gears...?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My engine is out of a 410 Sprint Car.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:26 pm 
Addicted to LUV

72TorqueMonster1 wrote:
The thing that scares me is this engine. Shes not ur typical 350...NOW, before I get beat up cause shes actually probably mild to some of u...this damn thing was built for circle track, 9400 RPMs all night. 30 bore, custom bottom and top end ( I want to do a build sheet on it) but... 625+hp, 9.83 @143 in the 1/4,in a vega, Had to have a 4500 stall in the Monte to keep it straight. 373 posi. I need some ideas and advice on tranny and rear end gears. Viper 6 speed, Cobra rearend...??? T5, 12 bolt 323 gears...?

What works for some won't be what you want. You are going to have to pick what you want and what works for you. Most of us with small blocks have 9 inch rear ends with a TH350 Or 400. There are a few glides and a few 4 speeds but the majority have the 350 or 400. I have ladder bars, some have leafs and a few have 4 links. Again, pick what works for you. There are formulas out there for gear ratios and tire size that will give you RPMs for the 1/4 and differant speeds. It's your build, don't build a clone of one of ours because it's easy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:23 pm 

Definitely. I do like the info and ideas I've seen so far. I`d like to be able to drive it everywhere without always worrying about breakin em loose all the time. Especially up here in the wet northwest

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

[quote="72TorqueMonster1"]Definitely. I do like the info and ideas I've seen so far. I`d like to be able to drive it everywhere without always worrying about breakin em loose all the time. Especially up here in the wet northwest[/quote]

good luck! i have a real mild 4.3 v6 and 5 speed, maybe 260-300 max hp on 30x9.5 all terrains and i break them loose as soon as the liquid sunshine starts falling if i am not very careful with the clutch and skinny pedal. back when i had the little 195/75r14s wet and traction werent even in the same sentence and hill starts with someone right behind me got sketchy
625hp and 9400rpm sounds like it will have 0 street manners in a 2700lb truck but sounds fun as hell
which part of our great green wet northwest are you from?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 am 

Seattle. Far enuff outside the city that hills aren't an issue typically. I've seriously been considering just building up my 700R4, but even with that I'm gonna need a huge stall just to keep it straight. Kinda planning on just driving it with its 4cyl for a bit and taking my time with ordering and building the right parts instead of just goin crazy with her all at once. Hell, I can upgrade damn near everything I want first, ie, suspension, breaks, interior, paint...beforehand. I wanna be smart about this build, yes, it'd be a hoot to leave the driveway on four tires and come home on three but...that'd jus be a big waste of time and money.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:58 am 

Just to add on to the first post, This forum has what, 20 Give or take people on a day. A mustang forum has 1000's + haha I love my luv but its not the most popular vehicle out there.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

agreed, in summer the site seems to have the most traffic

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:21 pm 

It took me a minute to figure out how to navigate around here, wasn't sure how to find replies people had sent me... There's a lot of good ideas I've seen so far, I like it. Thanx